Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
n5pa
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Post by n5pa »

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless weather stations at both my home and at our farm, which is 120 miles (193 Kilometers) west of our home. I want to know if there is a way to feed into the Twitter feed the location that it is posting for. Our home is in Ellisville and our farm is in Meadville and I would like to be able to easily differentiate the tweets between the two locations.
ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset & Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10; Raspbian Buster

Re: Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Post by ExperiMentor »

You can put any free text you like in the file 'twitter.txt' in your Cumulus directory. So you can easily include the Location info in the tweet.
(alternatively, you could set up 2 separate twitter accounts, 1 for each location).

My twitter.txt crams in more information than the default:
<#shortdayname> <#hour><#minute>: <#forecast>. <#temp>C (app: <#apptemp>C). Wind <#wdir> <#wspeed><#windunit>. Rain <#rfall><#rainunit>. Humidity <#hum>%. <#press><#pressunit> <#presstrend>
this gives a tweet like:
Weather @LiesbergDorf
May 3
Thu 1045: Becoming fine. 10.2C (app: 9.1C). Wind NW 0.2mph. Rain 4.2mm. Humidity 72%. 1001.1mb Rising slowly

But you need to be careful to not exceed the twitter character limit as Cumulus doesn't seem to check (then the tweet will fail and often Cumulus will crash). The limit is 140 characters (approximately - some things don't count). In the above you could change either <#shortdayname> or <#forecast> to be your locations, depending on how many characters you need.
For example:
NSW <#hour><#minute>: <#forecast>. <#temp>C (app: <#apptemp>C). Wind <#wdir> <#wspeed><#windunit>. Rain <#rfall><#rainunit>. Humidity <#hum>%. <#press><#pressunit> <#presstrend>
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Post by steve »

ExperiMentor wrote:But you need to be careful to not exceed the twitter character limit as Cumulus doesn't seem to check
It’s very difficult to do the check as the size that Cumulus sends does not necessarily correspond to the size that Twitter ends up with.
Steve