IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

FTP is broken. I advise all users using my server for their web site to make alternative arrangements.

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section and its subforums are the main place to get help with Cumulus. Anything which is not specific to the type of weather station goes in here; for anything specific to a type of weather station, please use the appropriate subforum. Use the 'website development' section for any questions relating to creating or running a web site for Cumulus data. Discussion of the stations themselves in these sections is fine.
n5pa
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Postby n5pa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:36 pm

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless weather stations at both my home and at our farm, which is 120 miles (193 Kilometers) west of our home. I want to know if there is a way to feed into the Twitter feed the location that it is posting for. Our home is in Ellisville and our farm is in Meadville and I would like to be able to easily differentiate the tweets between the two locations.

ExperiMentor
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7; Linux

Re: Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Postby ExperiMentor » Sun May 06, 2018 6:33 am

You can put any free text you like in the file 'twitter.txt' in your Cumulus directory. So you can easily include the Location info in the tweet.
(alternatively, you could set up 2 separate twitter accounts, 1 for each location).

My twitter.txt crams in more information than the default:
<#shortdayname> <#hour><#minute>: <#forecast>. <#temp>C (app: <#apptemp>C). Wind <#wdir> <#wspeed><#windunit>. Rain <#rfall><#rainunit>. Humidity <#hum>%. <#press><#pressunit> <#presstrend>
this gives a tweet like:
Weather @LiesbergDorf
May 3
Thu 1045: Becoming fine. 10.2C (app: 9.1C). Wind NW 0.2mph. Rain 4.2mm. Humidity 72%. 1001.1mb Rising slowly

But you need to be careful to not exceed the twitter character limit as Cumulus doesn't seem to check (then the tweet will fail and often Cumulus will crash). The limit is 140 characters (approximately - some things don't count). In the above you could change either <#shortdayname> or <#forecast> to be your locations, depending on how many characters you need.
For example:
NSW <#hour><#minute>: <#forecast>. <#temp>C (app: <#apptemp>C). Wind <#wdir> <#wspeed><#windunit>. Rain <#rfall><#rainunit>. Humidity <#hum>%. <#press><#pressunit> <#presstrend>

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Posting to TWITTER from multiple weather stations

Postby steve » Sun May 06, 2018 11:09 am

ExperiMentor wrote:But you need to be careful to not exceed the twitter character limit as Cumulus doesn't seem to check

It’s very difficult to do the check as the size that Cumulus sends does not necessarily correspond to the size that Twitter ends up with.
Steve
-----
Hosting available for Cumulus web sites. See http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11876

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development since I have retired from my day job

Return to “Cumulus 1”