Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

32701 error

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Altocumulus
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 with Solar
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

32701 error

Post by Altocumulus »

Has anyone seen this before on their Cumulus? Something on connection and settings. I've not made any changes to the settings I've used for years.
COM port number is correct. I've spent a wee while updating/checking USB ports etc to no avail.

Windows 7 did an update overnight!
Altocumulus

Re: 32701 error

Post by Altocumulus »

My search on the Forum didn't initially yield anything; but I've since found a few threads - but nothing has helped.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Can you run Weatherlink, and see if that can connect to the station?
Steve
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Hi Steve,

I'll have to find a copy of the software - but I was going to download cumulus onto another PC first, and try that way.

I'll let you know....
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Well, I never expected to find the disk!

The program cannot find the device - PC uses USB. Seems, perhaps the data logger has failed and perhaps the windows7 update was a red herring?

The logger is firmly seated and I've changed the lead a couple of times.

Geoff
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Just to confirm, when you use Weatherlink you have set it as Serial? The logger must be set as serial for use with Cumulus.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Aye, thanks Paul.....But who knows what the windows update did!

So far, I've updated WL to the latest version.
The Comms test returns "unable to find com port".
It matters not what port I connect the data logger to, 1-5, it can't be discovered and windows either says it's on 4, or (as now) 3.

The SiliconLab driver is latest, dated this year.

I read on an old thread something on a utility available via Davis, either in or alongside WL to reset the logger - but as yet haven't discovered it (perhaps I imagined it?). Could the update have triggered something back up to the logger and set it as USB?

Ports 1-5 can be used for other items, a seismometer logger and an mains electricity logger, plus keyboard and mouse - so the functionality of the ports remains - though not as virtual ones. Could the WL logger have 'locked a port'?

As an aside I noticed the console sends data at 19200 - but my Cumulus was set to receive at 9600; worked with those settings for 7 years this far :D.

WL data loggers are supposed to be robust, but could something have happened to mine? Has anyone seen loggers for sale without WL? (I'm shocked WL hasn't improved the GUI).

Geoff :groan:
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

The SiliconLab driver is latest, dated this year.

I read on an old thread something on a utility available via Davis, either in or alongside WL to reset the logger - but as yet haven't discovered it (perhaps I imagined it?).
Yes there is such a utility as mentioned here https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... ty#p121525

If you can't get WL to run you may have to contact Davis.

Good luck,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Thank you Paul - that's not the one I recall - but is equally informative.

I'll give that a go and see.

If that fails, and Davies can't help (I see they have a chat facility), I'll have to try using a laptop to at least rule out the ports on the PC.
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

Latest after a couple of chats with Davis agents.

The first, Drew, took me through a series of tests and a download of driver from siliconlabs - Most of what we did I had already gone through, including picking up the drivers. Console shutdown, logger removed, cabled disconnected. Waited a while. Re-fitted. Couple of cables changed. All not good.

It was left with me connecting to my Win10 laptop running under WL. Worked first time. Suggesting nothing amiss with the logger (phew!). Interestingly Win10 picked up a 2008 driver (instead of the siliconlabs 2018 version).

Chatted with Glenna who pointed me to drivers added with the WL package in the folder. Windows would only allow me to browse to the directory, but not pick and chose. But nothing changed on the original PC, the COM port not there or busy.

I conclude that as the logger is OK, and there's nothing stopping it working attached to WL on my Win10 laptop - that the Win7 update had done something, but I still don't know what other than suggest somehow the port controller on the PC is 'locked' in some way.
My other two devices I have attached will work with no problem. It's just the connection to the Davis Console!

I have a netbook that is running a copy of the weather website, I shall have a look at installing Cumulus (perhaps cumulusMX) and try and see if that works - I think that, too, is running Win7!
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Any chance you can roll back W7 to before the update using a System restore?
David
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

water01 wrote:Any chance you can roll back W7 to before the update using a System restore?
Hi David, that's actually the first ting I tried, but windows errored on attempt to roll back to any of the available restore points. There's also no rollback on the driver.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It is possible to force Windows 7 to install an old driver by using Device Manager, right clicking on the Device and selecting properties and then the Driver tab. There you will find an Uninstall button. Do that and then do an install either forcing it to use a download copy of the old driver or selecting the old driver from the list it should give you.

Make sure that Windows 7 is set to NOT do an auto update as all this will happen again if you don't!!
David
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

A wild stab... You don't have Cumulus set to automatically start in some way do you? And a copy is starting up in the background every time you start the computer?
Altocumulus

Post by Altocumulus »

water01 wrote:It is possible to force Windows 7 to install an old driver by using Device Manager, right clicking on the Device and selecting properties and then the Driver tab. There you will find an Uninstall button. Do that and then do an install either forcing it to use a download copy of the old driver or selecting the old driver from the list it should give you.

Make sure that Windows 7 is set to NOT do an auto update as all this will happen again if you don't!!
Thanks, I've managed to get windows to accept a change in drivers, to ones available in the WL package - but it's still not playing ball for me.