Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

"dayfile.txt" is not updating

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
pernaczy
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH 2080, TFA Spring
Operating System: Windows 7

"dayfile.txt" is not updating

Post by pernaczy »

Since 3-4 days (I've notice this only yesterday morning) "Cumulus" is unable to update the "dayfile.txt". When I trie to use function "create missing" Cumulus is updating this file with the data missing but it can not to write an updated file ( there is bugreport stating that "If the above error mentions I/O error 32, something on your system is locking the file and preventing Cumulus writing to it") and Cumulus is closing down. After restarting computer I can use "creat missing" function andCumulus is able to update and writ down the "dayfile.txt".
What should I do (check)?
I have attached "bugreport" file and th "diags" folder
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The day when I have learned something is not the lost one.
Ignorance can be corrected with the help of a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

dazza1223
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
Operating System: Raspberry pi 4 (4gb)

Re: "dayfile.txt" is not updating

Post by dazza1223 »

i had this happen to me befor i found that the was bug in the one off the month file ie jan18.txt
Have fun and keep learning

dazza :D

https://www.davisworthing.co.uk

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The diags file is unlikely to help, all Cumulus knows is that it can’t write to the file. A likely culprit is antivirus software or similar.
Steve
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Are you saying that Cumulus cannot update file at rollover time, but file can be updated by Cumulus at another time?
pernaczy wrote: "Cumulus" is unable to update the "dayfile.txt"
pernaczy wrote:Cumulus is able to update and writ down the "dayfile.txt".
If so, maybe some other process has been recently set by you (or automatically by your anti-virus) specifically to run at your rollover time and that gains exclusive access to the file just before Cumulus attempts to write to the file at a few microseconds after rollover time. (You can test this, by stopping Cumulus before rollover time, restarting it after rollover time and seeing if the delayed rollover on restarting Cumulus does update file ok).

Remember in Cumulus 1 you can kick off a process using Configuration menu, internet screen, External Programs frame, Daily box and using that ensures the process is run when Cumulus has finished updating dayfile.txt.
If Cumulus cannot kick it off an essential extra process (e.g. anti-virus scan or backing-up of files), either adjust the time extra process starts, or (if it is a script you can edit) add a half-second delay into the script before the stage at which it accesses the file.
pernaczy
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH 2080, TFA Spring
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by pernaczy »

Thanks for all your replay. The only applications that are using "dayfile.txt" are: "Cumulus Toolbox" wchich is sending "dayfile.txt" to the server at 00:05 every day and the "Acronis True Image Home" wchich is doing backup of "Cumulus" folder at 00:23 every day. Yesterday I changed the time of sending "dayfile.txt" to the server by "Cumulus Toolbox" to 00:10.
Today everything went normal ("dayfile.txt" has been updated an sent to the server).
Hope the problem has been solved. :D
The day when I have learned something is not the lost one.
Ignorance can be corrected with the help of a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.