Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Praise from a new user

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
bluebeard
Weather Station: Watson W-8681

Praise from a new user

Post by bluebeard »

Just a quick entry, from a new boy, to say how pleased I am with this software and how professional it is. Im no expert but was amazed to see that all the page templates are made available and I have embarked on making a few changes, and in doing so have learned a huge amount about how pages are created. Congratulations to Steve and the team for this great piece of kit, long may it reign. I'll be tweaking for days yet to come and certainly singing its praises for several months Im sure. In the meantime is there a way of setting everything back to zero now that I have got the sensors installed and am ready to take consistant readings instaed of the false ones Ive got from tipping the rain gauge up and down whilst installing it etc :lol:
Should anyone be curious as to my 'efforts' they can be found at . [url]http://lincs2locations.co.uk/weather/index/htm[url] Bear in mind Im new to this please. :)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Praise from a new user

Post by steve »

Thanks for that - I'm blushing!

Your URL didn't quite come out right - try http://lincs2locations.co.uk/weather/index.htm

The easiest way to reset all your data is to delete the contents of the Cumulus data folder (while Cumulus isn't running).
Steve
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

Bluebeard,
resetting the W-8681 is a bit of a pain, but it basically involves operating the touch screen as per the manual (do you have one?):
- in the "rain" area: reset rainfall: four touches and hold. Reset total rain: five touches and hold
- in the "memory" area: clear memory: 2 touches and hold
It took me a couple of attempts to get it right... :)

On your PC: do a fresh install of Steve's latest Cumulus. If your system is Vista: don't install in c:/Programs but anywhere else, e.g. d:\Cumulus. Then all your Cumulus data will be in that folder (and not tucked away in some obscure Vista folder that you cannot find)
Ib
bluebeard

Post by bluebeard »

No blushing required :lol: First class job. My url attempt had a nasty attack of pinkware problems. By he way what does the 'windrun' entry refer to please?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Wind run is just another way of describing the average wind speed over the day; it's the total distance 'travelled' by the wind passing you.

Ib's description of resetting your data was much better than mine :)
Steve
arthurhh
Weather Station: Davis VP pro 2
Operating System: Win7

Post by arthurhh »

bluebeard wrote:Just a quick entry, from a new boy, to say how pleased I am with this software and how professional it is. Im no expert but was amazed to see that all the page templates are made available and I have embarked on making a few changes, and in doing so have learned a huge amount about how pages are created. Congratulations to Steve and the team for this great piece of kit, long may it reign. I'll be tweaking for days yet to come and certainly singing its praises for several months Im sure. In the meantime is there a way of setting everything back to zero now that I have got the sensors installed and am ready to take consistant readings instaed of the false ones Ive got from tipping the rain gauge up and down whilst installing it etc :lol:
Should anyone be curious as to my 'efforts' they can be found at . [url]http://lincs2locations.co.uk/weather/index/htm[url] Bear in mind Im new to this please. :)
I have been using Cumulus since a much earlier version and seeing the work done by Steve and Kevin I got all carried away and made a donation to both guys in appreciation of the excellent efforts and to provide encourgement for continued developement
http://tokoroa.dyndns.org/ Main Site

IT Fixer
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

You're doing better than me bluebeard and I've been getting my website ready for some time! Your site is fine. I noticed your title was in lower case - I not sure if you preferred that but I'm having some difficulty changing the first letters only to uppercase. (Basic for most people, I expect but this is my first attempt with html). Funnily enough I was about to ask the same on here tonight about "wind run" but managed to get the answer from Google.
I do hope people are making donations to Steve because I think it is a brilliant piece of software, especially for us amateurs who are on a tightish budget hence the Watson type Weather stations! (Although they do seem to be taking off, so to speak, as I thought they would). Personally I think Cumulus could be (and possibly should be) a commercial piece of software so I am glad to see how much we are all enjoying it and learning all sorts of other stuff at the same time.
Dave.
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

dc1500: I think you will find that the lower case first letters are due to a "text-transform: lowercase;" statement somewhere in the weatherstyle.css file. Remove that, and all is fine.
(Don't forget to upload the modified weatherstyle.css to your werbserver... :)
Ib
bluebeard

Post by bluebeard »

Thank you for your comments. Actually I quite like the lower case look, but now that dane has told us how to alter it, I might get brave and tinker in the file he mentioned.

I have had my PC off overnight and when I fired everything up a 'download' data box appeared but thats all it did. I dont seem to have any rainfall totals or a max min temp record overnight. Its maybe me being a newbie - Im still in the learning stage.

As for making the software commercial - that might be a shame - it might go the way of all things that start this way - commercial.

I think that the fact one gets personal prompt friendly support from the creator is priceless. It cant be easy to do. Also as with most specilist forums the support from other users is again beyond price. Its the major decision for me after I research all these things before committing to this sort of thing. Sit back and monitor forums for a while, which is what I have done, hence the reason for being here.
http://www.lincs2locations.co.uk/weather

Crepuscular rays shine through everytime.................
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bluebeard wrote:I have had my PC off overnight and when I fired everything up a 'download' data box appeared but thats all it did. I dont seem to have any rainfall totals or a max min temp record overnight. Its maybe me being a newbie - Im still in the learning stage.
Was there any indication that it was actually downloading the data? A progress bar? Or did the window just go away and then it carried on? If you send me the contents of the Diags folder I may be able to shed some light.
I think that the fact one gets personal prompt friendly support from the creator is priceless. It cant be easy to do.
I am actually still spending far too much time on Cumulus, and I need to find a way to cut back a bit. I need to resist calls for enhancements for a while and concentrate on getting something very stable that doesn't require so much of my time. I enjoy doing this, but I have a full-time job to hold down, and other things which I ought to be spending at least a little time on :-) The 1969 MGB GT in pieces in the garage, for example. I think I have a wife here somewhere, too.
Steve
bluebeard

Post by bluebeard »

Steve, there was no progress bar at the time, it just hung.

However I have since downloaded the latest beta version and having not saved my data I've had to play all over again with the templates etc. Also had a play with the CSS files. It's all part of the fun!!

I'd be better letting it run for a day or two and get the hang of things I suppose to do it justice. I'll give you a nudge if theres any major problems.

Think what it would like if you went commercial :?

I wonder then if someone else may take the time to publish the fact that he thinks there are better products out there somewhere and could forum members for this application can help him find it !! :roll:

You are doing a great job, maybe if members didnt keep comming up with - hang on - sounds too familiar, back to the MG 8-)
http://www.lincs2locations.co.uk/weather

Crepuscular rays shine through everytime.................
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

bluebeard wrote:Think what it would like if you went commercial :?
That's not going to happen.

Mind you, when Google or Microsoft offer me $10 million for it, it's going to be hard to say no :lol:
Steve
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by dc1500 »

Thanks Dane. I spotted that and took some out and it worked but keeps reverting. Maybe I have to take them all out.
Steve, your openess with Cumulus may be your time saver. As the forum has grown people are helping each other out as they learn and there are clearly some very knowledgeable people on here so maybe you will be able to have a rest from our silly questions!
Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, I'm grateful to people pitching in and answering questions where they can. Some of the questions only I can deal with, for now, of course.
Steve