Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain offset

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
briwey
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 + XP

Rain offset

Post by briwey »

Hi Steve,
I am having trouble with the rain offset, on setting it to 0.98 allsorts of strange readings appear like 805.2mm of rain in the last hour and 16.3mm yesterday when in fact there was none.
Using Windows XP and Davis VP2. and Cumulus 1.8.1, I have tried 1.8.2 with the same results. In order to get back to normality I have accessed the cumulus.ini file and changed the rain offest to =1. then loaded a backup data file and started Cumulus and reloaded the recent station data. Changing it in the program threw up other strange figures.Any Ideas?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rain offset

Post by steve »

There was a problem with rain offset in the 1.8.2 beta, but I thought I had fixed that in the final version. There was also a problem with last hour rainfall but I thought I had also fixed that. I'm not sure the problems you're seeing are related to the offset. Do the strange figures appear during startup or during normal running? If during startup, could you let me have the files from the Diags folder, please?
Steve
briwey

Post by briwey »

Thanks Steve, it is on bootup the problem seem to arise, however I will install 1.8.2b and see if that cures it and get back to you.
Brian.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Actually, in the bath just now, it occurred to me that there may be a way a rain multiplier less than one might cause the problems you're seeing. Bear with me while I look at the code.

(It's 1.8.3 that's in beta now, by the way.)
Steve
briwey

Post by briwey »

OK Hope you enjoyed your bath, I have installed 1.8.3b and so far no problems so i'll monitor it and let you know if I continue to have problems. Thanks for your time.
Brian.
briwey

Post by briwey »

Hi Steve,
All running OK with V 1.8.3, no problems with the day change over 09:00 and the correct amount of rain deducted from actual rainfall.
Thanks,
Brian.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Great. Are you still using a rain multiplier? I think there is a bug where the multiplier doesn't get applied to the hourly rain. I'll upload a fixed version once I'm sure.
Steve
briwey

Post by briwey »

Hi Steve,
Yes still using the rain offset set to 0.98. Waiting for some more rainto prove it further.
Brian