Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 2 suggestions

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Re: Cumulus 2 suggestions

Post by broadstairs »

May I make one request, please allow Cumulus to connect via TCP/IP to a Davis station. You need this because of the Weatherlink/IP logger. It also allows a native IP connection to VirtualVP which allows people to run many different software solutions in parallel for a Davis station. Especially useful for testing. I should point out that you can run Cumulus with VirtualVP without TCP/IP as I do at present when playing with Cumulus, but an IP connection is much simpler to do.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Is the protocol for the TCP/IP mode of connection available? I can't see it on the Davis site.

Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

The protocol is the same, you just connect to the port via TCP instead of a serial port.

This would enable you to have access to a full Davis station with extra sensors that you don't have to see what kind of data you get.

I was going to make the same request as a way of giving you access to Solar Sensors, Soil sensors etc...

I know that Stuart has a number of extra sensors and I have a full VP2 Plus unit.

I have 4 different weather software packages feeding from my one station using VirtualVP (Weather Link, WD, Cumulus, and a Perl thing that I wrote using TCP instead of Serial on my unix box).

If you have questions on how it works, I'm sure that Steve at SoftWX would be able to provide you the info... support@softwx.com

Its a great product. I've been using it since it came out.

I think he could help with which virtual serial port software that can work as well. Makes a serial port via a TCP connection so your application thinks it is using a serial connection.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think it would have to be the virtual serial port approach. Cumulus doesn't talk to the VP2 directly, it uses the Davis DLL from their SDK. When I first got my VP2 and added support for it to Cumulus, I found the SDK on the Davis web site and assumed this was the best way to do it. I soon learned it has a few quirks.

My Cumulus 2 prototype drives the station directly, so adding TCP/IP connections to that would be easy.

Steve
Steve
thenook

Post by thenook »

On the web interface, how easy would it be to have a separate box with the reading displayed digitally. e.g the temperature gauge may show a bar between 15-20 degrees but the box would show in numbers 17.6 degrees.

Just a thought.

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The gauge itself couldn't do it, as it's not my code and I don't really understand enough about it to modify it. But it would be easy enough to edit gaugesT.htm to put a box underneath it and use the web tags to insert the correct values, like on the index page, e.g:

Code: Select all

<#temp>&nbsp;<#tempunit>
Steve
Steve
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

I did something like that to the PHP template version that I am playing with.

http://cumulus.tnetweather.com/gauges.php

The template is modified like:

Code: Select all

<tr>
		<td width="33%" align="center" bgcolor="#EFEFEF" >
			<div align="center" class="normaltext">Inside Temperature</div>'
			. $XML['intemp'] . '&deg;' . $XML['tempunit'] . '
		</td>
		<td width="34%" align="center" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" >
			<div align="center" class="normaltext">Inside Humidity</div>'
			. $XML['inhum'] . '%' . '
		</td>
		<td width="33%" align="center" bgcolor="#EFEFEF" >
			<div align="center" class="normaltext">Cloud Base</div>'
			. $XML['cloudbase'] . '
		</td>
	</tr>
Where the values are PHP array variables with the variable names.

The array used is used like $XML['variable']
Last edited by TNETWeather on Tue 30 Sep 2008 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arthurhh
Weather Station: Davis VP pro 2
Operating System: Win7

Post by arthurhh »

Simple data editing is IMHO a necessity. Eg today I shifted the spare station to a location adjacent my main station. The idea is to do a set of data graphs overlaying the readings for both stations for quality evaluation.
Being me I didnt take the batteries out of the fine offset so I got a lot of spurious rain readings which I cannot get rid of.

Cumulus is getting to the stage where it is quite practicle and useable. That means next spare cash day you will see a Paypal come from me. I believe we all should be supporting you and TNT to help this get off the ground and gain some critical mass of users.
http://tokoroa.dyndns.org/ Main Site

IT Fixer
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

A Cumulus user is writing a data editor, it may not be too far away from being ready.

Steve
Steve
TgT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar
Operating System: A20 TV box + CumulusMX

Post by TgT »

Sounds great! ;)