Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Other uses for easyweather.dat file

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Ancientmariner
Weather Station: La Crosse WS2300
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

Re: Other uses for easyweather.dat file

Post by Ancientmariner »

Steve,
Thank you so much.

My La Crosse 'Currdat.lst' to 'Easyweather.dat' parser is now working perfectly in Cumulus! :D This parser also gets rid of the many data errors that are created in the Heavyweather software. These appear to stem from the direct serial output from the La Cross WS into the computer's serial port. Any errors detected are simply replaced by the valid results from the previous minute's record. It just needs polishing up now.

Kind regards,
Keith
foe
Weather Station: WS2800
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by foe »

Hello there, very interesting. I have the same problem trying to convert LaCrosse currdat.lst to Easywethaer.dat for Cumulus. Where can I find the parser? I also have WuHu... is that something we can use, I have read about a "template" used in "actions" but have no access to that neither.

Any help is very much apreciatted, thank you in advance !
Ancientmariner

Post by Ancientmariner »

Hi Steve,
Just a small point. In your Field List for the Easyweather.dat file fields as used by Cumulus, I have found that Field #16 shown as "Wind Gust" actually appears within Cumulus as "Wind latest" and the actual Gust value appears to be calculated from within Cumulus. In parsing data from the La Crosse WS2300, Currdat.lst file to an Easyweather.dat file, feeding the latest wind strength [m\s] into Field #16 and a calculated 10 min average value of wind speed [m\s] into field # 14 presents wind data correctly within Cumulus. This is working fine for me and trust that I am correct in my assumptions.

Another point of interest from examining "Wind Strength Spikes" which appear to be freely generated from within the La Crosse WS2300 I have discovered that far from being sporadic, the spikes appear to be at specific values. Whether these specific spike values are common to all La Crosse machines or are individual machine specific, I don't know! However, the spike values {in knots} as observed in the Currdat.lst file on my system are as follows:-

"30.8"; "37.1"; "43.3"; "49.3"; "49.5"; "98.6"; "---"; "OFL" {"OFL" = Overload}

By substituting any of the above specific wind values with the latest valid values of both Wind Speed and Direction, in my currdat.lst to easyweather.dat parser; on my set up, I appear to have eliminated all wind spikes displayed within Cumulus.

I just wondered if any other users of La Crosse WS23XX systems have noticed similar results?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Ancientmariner wrote:Just a small point. In your Field List for the Easyweather.dat file fields as used by Cumulus, I have found that Field #16 shown as "Wind Gust" actually appears within Cumulus as "Wind latest" and the actual Gust value appears to be calculated from within Cumulus.
Yes - the item that Fine Offset stations refer to as 'Gust' appears in Cumulus as 'Latest'; it was the best way to add support for Fine Offset stations to the code I had already written. See http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#What_d ... tations.3F
Steve
Ancientmariner

Post by Ancientmariner »

Thanks Steve... That makes sense. As you have probably guessed, my reason for using this obtuse method of feeding Cumulus from my La Crosse WS2300 via a my parser, is simply to overcome the La Crosse spike problem which at last I seem to be making progress in suppressing. Once again, very many thanks for your help.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Did the spike removal in Cumulus not help? Or perhaps you are using a more intelligent method of removal than the one in Cumulus? Apart from eliminating those fixed values you mentioned?
Steve