Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Returning weather watcher

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Dave.B
Weather Station: LaCrosse 2307
Operating System: Win XP Pro SP2

Returning weather watcher

Post by Dave.B »

Hi, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I must have registered a few years ago, so not quite sure if this is my first post or not!

I ran a LaCrosse 2307 for five years between 2007 & 2012 using Weather Display to upload to my site: http://www.kingsteignton-weather.co.uk. I have kept the domain so it is still there. I was pretty into it - I got interviewed by the local rag and I had a very short (3 minutes?) piece about me on ITV local news where I was interviewed by the local weather man, Bob Crampton.

Anyway - stuff happened (long story) and the weather station and PC that ran it are gone. I've just got myself settled again and I'm thinking about getting back into it. I'm looking at an Oregon Scientific WMR200 and I'm wanting to switch from Weather Display to Cumulus. I never really liked the complicated interface of WD, and the LaCrosse's connection used to drive me up the wall.

Some questions:
1) Can I somehow import all the old data from WD? (I do have the old HDD, but I'm not sure if will spin up after so long. Obviously if it doesn't then it's a no).
2) Will Cumulus upload data as a database format (eg mdb, sql or sqlite)? I'm comfortable using php to create graphs and tables dynamically.
3) Are there any issues using the WMR200 with Cumulus?
4) ... I'm sure there will be more...!

Any advice you can offer on returning to the hobby will be great.
Thanks
Dave

PS... on previewing the post it seems even my signature image is still here!

[EDIT] I see I have prompted some discussion on my first question once before - but as that was over three years ago, has anything changed since then?
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Returning weather watcher

Post by water01 »

Here is link to Steve's WD converter https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10118
David
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Dave.B wrote:2) Will Cumulus upload data as a database format (eg mdb, sql or sqlite)? I'm comfortable using php to create graphs and tables dynamically.
No, but a number of people are putting Cumulus data into MySQL databases, a search on "MySQL" should give you a few ideas.
3) Are there any issues using the WMR200 with Cumulus?
Not that I'm aware of - did you have something specific in mind?
Steve
Dave.B
Weather Station: LaCrosse 2307
Operating System: Win XP Pro SP2

Post by Dave.B »

water01 wrote:Here is link to Steve's WD converter https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10118
Thanks, that's useful.
steve wrote:Not that I'm aware of - did you have something specific in mind?
Not really - just wondering if anything glaring stands out. Anyway, I've been doing some digging and the WMR200 doesn't seem like a good buy. I'm trying to convince myself to go for the Davis Vantage Vue instead, but when you add the data logger it gets expensive.