Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WMR88 weak radio signal - solved - by chance!

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
gwheelo
Weather Station: WMR-88
Operating System: Windows 8.1

WMR88 weak radio signal - solved - by chance!

Post by gwheelo »

IMG_1727_edited-1.JPG
As I have read on several forums some users have been experiencing connection difficulties particularly from the anometer which for many installations is further from the base unit than are the other sensors. My system has been losing the connection to the anometer on a random basis. Sometimes 24 - 48 hurs the station will maintain the connection but other days the connection is lost for an hour up to 12 hours. The unit normally reconnects but on at leasrt one occasion the base station and the anometer required resetting.

My base station is tucked away in the ground floor laundry room of a two story house and the anometer is on the roof so I can understand the problem, however, this was never a problem with my old WMR968.

A week ago when the signal was dropped I tried to move the base station around a limited space hoping that the antenna might find a better angle or location for holding the weak sgnal. At one point while moving the base station I noticed that it aquired the anometer signal it had lost an hour previously. I also noticed that the right side of the base station was positioned a few millameters from a piece of angled aluminum I had attached to the wall a few years ago and no longer in use for any purpose. Since locating the base station next to the piece of aluminum the station has not lost the signal.

I suspect the base station is picking up a reflected signal from the angled piece of aluminum. The base station antenna is located on the right side of the unit and therefore just a few millameters from the aluminum. I say all this with a lot of reservation as I have absolutely no understanding of antennas.

A photo is attached in which you can see the aluminium just to the right of the unit. You will also see my professioal router installation - maybe one day I will use two screws.

[img]
IMG_1727_edited-1.JPG
[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.