Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rainfall rate wrong after changing multiplier

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
Tony_J
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2+
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Rainfall rate wrong after changing multiplier

Post by Tony_J »

I have added a larger funnel to my WMR88 rain gauge, which increases the area by a factor of 3.84, so I have changed the multiplier for rainfall in the calibration screen to 0.260 (1/3.84). The rainfall totals seem to be working fine since this change, but the rainfall rate calculated by Cumulus is now too large by a factor of ~4 (working from a manual integration of the trend graph). Anyone else suffer from this problem? Is it Cumulus that needs fixing or is there some other config parameter that I need to set?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rainfall rate wrong after changing multiplier

Post by steve »

Cumulus takes the rate supplied by the console and applies the configured multiplier to it. As far I can see, the code is correct.

If you wait until it is raining, then turn on the debug log, Cumulus will log the rain packets from the console to the debug.log file. After rain has been recorded, zip up the diags folder and the debug.log file and I'll take a look. Please indicate what the rain rate shown on the console was at a particular time (this will presumably be about 4 times too big?) and what Cumulus was showing at that time.
Steve
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

Steve -

Thanks - will do. We've been fortunate in not having much rain recently, but I believe that will change fairly soon!

Regards,
Tony
Tony_J

Post by Tony_J »

Steve -

We had some rain overnight - I wasn't able to set up the logging (I was asleep!) but looking at the graphs this morning, the rainfall rate graph looks much more realistic when compared to the total rainfall measurement than the one the other day. Must have been an artifact of the way the rates are calculated/updated. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if I think there is really a problem, but looking good right now.

Thanks -

Regards,
Tony