Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CUMULUS and OS WMR89

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
newscene
Weather Station: Waldbeck Halley – WH2650
Operating System: WIN 10 64 bits

CUMULUS and OS WMR89

Post by newscene »

I just bought a OS WMR89 station convinced that it was just an improved version of the well known WMR88, so widely used and most of all, supported by CUMULUS.
Unfortunately WMR89 is not recognised by CUMULUS.
As a matter of fact it seems that the difference between WMR89 and WMR88 is that WMR89 has a data logger for 7 days, although all sensors are exactly the same.
The original software provided by OS, despite the same look, is different because the WMR89 will not be recognized with the WMR88 software.
Checking the diferences, during the instalation of the software, WMR89 has two more steps than WMR88 that are the instalation of a USB drive and the instalation of a VCP driver
WMR89_1.JPG
USB DRIVER:
WMR89_2.JPG
VCP DRIVER:
WMR89_3.JPG
At the end these drivers are registered like this:
WMR89_4.JPG
My question is: is there any way or any trick to make this WMR89 work with CUMULUS?

Thank you in advance for any reply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by newscene on Thu 09 Jul 2015 10:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: CUMULUS and OS WMR89

Post by steve »

If the WMR89 is driven via that virtual serial port, then there is no way that it could be made to work with Cumulus without me writing a lot of new code. And even then it would require a detailed specification of the communication protocol.
Steve
newscene
Weather Station: Waldbeck Halley – WH2650
Operating System: WIN 10 64 bits

Post by newscene »

steve wrote:If the WMR89 is driven via that virtual serial port, then there is no way that it could be made to work with Cumulus without me writing a lot of new code. And even then it would require a detailed specification of the communication protocol.
This is bad news!
Looks like I have to give up the WMR89 and replace it with a WMR88.

Thank you so much for your reply.
thegasman
Weather Station: WMR88
Operating System: Raspbian on Pi2

Post by thegasman »

steve wrote:If the WMR89 is driven via that virtual serial port, then there is no way that it could be made to work with Cumulus without me writing a lot of new code. And even then it would require a detailed specification of the communication protocol.
That is a shame.
It looks like an incredible value piece of kit, and incorporating the only real thing that the WMR88 was lacking - a datalogger.

Martin
diogogrosso
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by diogogrosso »

Hi,

When you will update your Cumulus Software to work with WMR89?

Greetings.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Part of the answer is in the post that you have quoted. Does a specification of the communication protocol exist? Please also see this FAQ - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#Will_y ... on_type.3F
Steve
wbargent
Weather Station: LaCrosse WS2300, Oregon WMR88/89
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by wbargent »

Hi, are there any place for support in CumulusMX?

I have just bought the WMR89 not realising this. :( bit pissed.