Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

1.9.4 (build 1099), Windows 8.1 and suddenly not visible

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
dshroads
Weather Station: WMR-100N/NA and clone
Operating System: windows 8

1.9.4 (build 1099), Windows 8.1 and suddenly not visible

Post by dshroads »

OK folks,

I have had this system up and running for a couple of years. It is a WMR100NA console w/wireless outdoor connected via USB to an HP laptop running Windows 8.1 ... This system dates to when I was running Windows 7 on the same machine.

The Cumulus software suddenly does not see anything from my weather console (reports all zeros, picks up state of none of the batteries in the external devices). The WMR console is connected to the outdoor devices and reporting all of them. I had changed no settings, had no PC problems that I am aware of, had not even recently installed updates on the laptop.

I tried two USB cables and multiple USB ports for the weather station rotating with other USB devices and all of the ports work with all of the other devices fine. The laptop seems to be seeing the USB from the Oregon console when I plug it in because it cycles the USB connections in Windows device driver just like when I put a flash drive or keyboard or mouse in the USB port.

I have deleted and reinstalled Cumulus 1.9.4 (build 1099), which I have been running since its release with the same results.

I am straight up out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thank you :)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: 1.9.4 (build 1099), Windows 8.1 and suddenly not visible

Post by steve »

If you zip up the diags folder to begin with, and attach it to a reply in this thread, I'll take a look.
Steve
dshroads

Post by dshroads »

Here you are, sir. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's finding the station, but apparently not receiving any data from it. If you delete any existing debug.log file in the Cumulus folder and then start Cumulus and turn on debug logging, let it run for a few minutes, and then attach the debug.log file here, I'll take a look at that.
Steve
dshroads

Post by dshroads »

Sir,

There is not much to the debug log to look at over 5 minutes. Let me know if more time would be useful, please.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dshroads

Post by dshroads »

Sir,
I again Googled the problems, apparently with the magic words this time and I see posts about the WMR100NA and data dropping out on USB connections I had missed.

I normally run the WMR100NA console on its power supply connected to my computer UPS, so I have not shut the WMR100NA down (removed both AC power and batteries from unit) in a year or more. I just so, re-inserted the batteries, plugged it all in and it works.

The problem is the WMR100NA; so if anyone else brings that to your attention, you will know. Some of the posts attribute it to power issues on the USB circuit (IMHO, unlikely), some to interference, a more likely possibility in my little electronics corner of the office, but I would have anticipated intermittent, not a shutdown of data transmission from the unit even after it was removed from the RFI for a matter of hours. (RFI can manifest itself in odd ways, so, just in case, I am now using a USB cable with RF chokes on it to see if it matters.)

Thank you so much for looking at the logs -- now we both know the answer and maybe you can use it to help others!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Well done - from the debug log showing no response at all, a reset (power cycle) of the console is what I would have suggested.
Steve