Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Corrupt rain data after power failure

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
CaptJack
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Pro
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro

Corrupt rain data after power failure

Post by CaptJack »

We've had several power failures in quick succession here today and I've just noticed that the rain data is wrong. We've not had any rain today yet Cumulus is reporting 24.1mm today with a time around the power cuts.

I've attached 2 screen snippets of the above but haven't included any other file although I can do if I know which ones to upload.

Can someone tell me how I can correct this data? There are 5 backup folders for today.

I'm using Cumulus 1.9.4 Build 1099 on Windows 7 Pro

Thank you
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Corrupt rain data after power failure

Post by steve »

There is information in the FAQ about correcting rainfall data - to correct today's total use the editor built into Cumulus. You may just be able to 'rewind' to a point before the problem using the files from one of the backup folders (copy ALL of the files from the chosen backup folder to the data folder, with Cumulus stopped), but this depends on the type of weather station - your profile says Davis, but this is the Oregon Scientific section. You can at least retrieve alltime.ini and monthlyalltime.ini from a backup folder, even if you can't do a full 'rewind'.

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it, I may be able to see what happened. It may just be down to a file corruption if the PC lost power while it was writing to a file, assuming it wasn't something the station did as a result of the power loss.
Steve
CaptJack

Post by CaptJack »

Hi Steve
Diags folder as requested. I'll also look at the FAQ.

My profile is correct I have a Davis Pro2, not sure how my post ended up in the Oregon Scientific section. Clearly carelessness on my part. Sorry :oops:

The power failure didn't affect the console as that is plugged into a UPS, unfortunately the laptop wasn't (it is now).

Regards
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The problem happened because the Davis DLL was unable to determine the type of rain gauge when Cumulus started up at 14:32. I'm not sure what it would use as a default in that case, but it meant that it calculated the rainfall incorrectly for that run. It was OK again on the following start up at 14:38, so the rain total was correct again, but by then the damage had been done. So the simplest solution would have been (and may still be) to 'rewind' using the backup files created at 14:32

16/01/2016 14:32:43.903 : Creating backup folder C:\Cumulus\backup\20160116143243\
Steve
CaptJack

Post by CaptJack »

Thanks Steve. I appreciate the prompt response :clap:

We had another power failure in the early hours but this time I was able to shutdown Cumulus gracefully before the UPS ran out.