Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1 Freezes - revisited!

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus 1 Freezes - revisited!

Post by geoffw »

Here I am again with my old chestnut. Cumulus 1 on a Windows 10 machine keeps freezing. It all seems to have start months ago. I seem to have tried everything - at least I think I have. It is intermittent but the longest it manages to run without crashing is about 6 hours. Often I re-starting five of six times a day. Data is never corrupted, it will just freeze while still updating or run happily for up to 6 hours.

I've tried it on two laptops and a desktop. They seem OK for about half a day and then it all starts over again. I was starting to think it was an issue with the WMR200 station but, although it doesn't appeal to me I installed CumulusMX yesterday. It has been running now for 24 hours without a hitch!

I really do prefer the Cumulus 1.9.4 interface so come on help me out........ I might add I've also been toying with buying Brian Hamilton's "Weather Display" I had a demo version running for a couple of days without a problem last week - but I hate his interface.

I've been with Cumulus since 2009 and really do want to stay!
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus 1 Freezes - revisited!

Post by steve »

Sorry, Geoff, I don’t know what to suggest.
Steve
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

just guessing since not knowledge of your setup or configuration, what measure have to taken into account to stop power management from stopping USB devices and putting them into power saving mode?

here are a few links to start with:

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/a ... 3875#win10

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prev ... sb-devices

https://www.hamoperator.com/Fusion/Fusi ... F-0023.pdf

also turn off hibernation too.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

If I remember correctly, in your previous postings (including a few months ago) on this problem, you stated you had tried the power management suggestions. I have no idea whether my suggestions below might help, but it sounds as if you are desperate to try anything. I don't know how Cumulus 1 works in terms of starting threads etc, but I too have sometimes had it freeze and found it goes after a restart, and I wonder if it can be affected by an external program. I don't have knowledge or skills to understand what happens on my pc or indeed how Cumulus might work.

On my windows 10 pc, I have sometimes experienced feezing of all the applications I have running at the time. I find using a memory mangement tool tends to improve things. I don't want to advertise a trade name but what I have running is a free application and has "memory optimizer" in its name.

I don't know what else you have running on your pc in Pembrokeshire, but virus checkers and back up applications can lock log files that Cumulus uses and demands exclusive access to. I suspect you have already eliminated that, but mention it in case.

As my final thought, Geoff, for a long time I had Cumulus running a script for me using the realtime program facility in Cumulus 1, and I found on the rare occaision when that script exited with a fatal error, it locked everything up. Presumably whatever component Steve uses to run external programs got some sort of error feedback? I only run end of day scripts now, and (fingers crossed, touch wood, etc) I seem to have been able to have 24 hour running of Cumulus and other applications without any failures since that change (even the few times when my script does a premature exit), but I do need to add that most days my PC is off whenever I am out.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Might it be worth looking at Event Viewer. That logs many things and there might be something relating to the lockup / freeze.

Start - Run - eventvwr.

On the left pane select Event Viewer (Local) and look for Errors or Warnings in the last hour or 24 hours.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by geoffw »

Thanks for the responses and the advice. Unfortunately most of your suggestions I seem to have tried with no success. However, CumulusMX soldiers on and has now been running over 48 hours without a hitch, so it look like that is the way to go. a steep learning curve I fear!

I've just replaced my website with Steves basic offering http://www.winterman.org.uk/weather/. Much to do to get the webcam back etc.....

Thanks again! Now how do I get back my weather tag at the base of my message?
Geoff
Colt94
Weather Station: Wmr200
Operating System: Win10 64bit

Post by Colt94 »

Hi Geoff,
Just to let you know that you are not alone, my Cumulus does exactly the same thing on Win 10 64 bit. I can restart Cumulus up to 7 times a day. I tried it on 2 PC and same result. Same problem on mx. Too bad. The problem has been going on for more than a year. To me it’s a problem with WMR200.
If anyone could help it would be great!

Max
Canada
Ubbe
Weather Station: Oregon WMR 200
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by Ubbe »

Hi Max, try USB Hub with its one powersupply! Worked for me!
Had the same problem, that my laptop was too weak, with power!

But the USB HUB has worked now for 3 years 24-7 :D
johnijssel
Weather Station: WMR200

Post by johnijssel »

Hi, I've been using WMR200 for 5 years with Cumulus 1.9.4 on Win7/SP3 without any problems. Now moved to Win 10/64, Cumulus 1.9.4 works, but when downloading data it freezes after few minutes and the only remedy is to force a shutdown using the task manager. By re-starting Cumulus again with the station connected , it continues to download until it freezes again at variable intervals. I had to repeat this 6 times to download one month's of data. Any suggestion? Would moving to Cumulus MX improve the situation? Thanks, John
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

It would certainly improve your chances if there is a problem with the code as Cumulus 1 is no longer being developed, whereas Cumulus MX is currently being supported and bugs looked at.
David