Sandaysoft

Support forum for Cumulus weather station software
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:15 am
Please click here before posting. Help me to help you!
Useful Links: Cumulus FAQ • Enhancement requests • Wiki (documentation) • Downloads
Please put your approximate location into your profile • Add your personal web site to the Cumulus user map
Read the Announcements and News section regularly!
Do not allow your PC to go into standby mode while Cumulus is running - read the readme.txt!
If you find Cumulus useful, please consider a donation -

All times are UTC

Post subject: Question about rainfall rate calculation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 pm 

Weather Station: DAVIS VANTAGE PRO 2
Operating System: Windows 7
Hello.
For people using older oregon scientific weather stations,there is a probem with the rainfall rate,according to the manual of the weather station.
The rainfall rate reported by the station clears to zero 2 hours after the rain has stopped.Thats ofcourse a hardware related problem,but i wonder if it is possible to do something to fix the display of the rate in software basis.
I thought that if for 1 hour the rainfall ammount remains the same,then there is no rainfall occured.If thats happen then the program could reset rainfall rate to zero,and keeps a record of the previous rate.If the rate has changed to something else than zero,new rainfall rate occured.
I don't know if that solution can be done easily,but for some oregon users maybe a nice feature if it is done ok.

Post subject: Re: Question about rainfall rate calculation
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:27 pm 
Cumulus Author

Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows Home Server 2011
I never really saw that as an issue when I used my WMR928. The problem is that it's difficult to determine whether it's actually still raining or not with a TBR, particularly one that has a large 'tip' such as the WMR928 (etc), so I guess this is why they chose the 2 hour period. But I agree that 2 hours is perhaps too long a period for the rate to return to zero; on Davis stations the rate returns to zero when no tips have occurred in 15 minutes - but that does have a much smaller 'tip'.

For stations which don't supply a rain rate (such as Fine Offset stations) Cumulus calculates a rain rate; but the current calculation is quite simple and needs enhancing. I have an enhanced algorithm, based on the Davis one, and I did try using it once, but there are problems using it with long logger intervals, so I gave up on it temporarily. At some point I propose to try again to get it working, and if successful I'll offer it as an alternative to the station's calculation for other station types too, such as Oregon Scientific.

Like Cumulus and want to support it? Please donate! Image