Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

About low battery transmitter 1

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
WXStevo
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 8

About low battery transmitter 1

Post by WXStevo »

on my Davis Vantage Vue i have low Battery transmitter 1 so what should i do im confused and i have Autism spectrum Disorder i have trouble understanding what people saying but i need someone help me about this my Davis Vantage Vue battery???????? :(
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: About low battery transmitter 1

Post by steve »

I've moved your post from the webcam section to the Davis section, as you are more likely to get an answer here. I don't know anything about the Vue myself, so can't help.
Steve
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

@stevewx

I have a Davis Vantage Vue and do my endeavours typically baby step fashion.

I saw a LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 5 today but it went away tonight.

I have read you should replace the battery within a day or two after seeing this on the Davis Vantage Vue Console.

As explained on another post here on the forum.

- The solar charges the supercap.

- The super cap runs the ISS but can't run it all night if the night is long or its charge is low (little sun for days).

- The remainder of the time the ISS is run from the battery. The battery is not rechargeable.

- When the battery runs out, there is a period where the ISS won't run just before sun rise and the solar gets going again.

- Change the battery a soon as practical. The warning is a 'low' warning, not a 'dead' warning so there is a little leeway.

If the battery runs out again quickly then the supercap/solar need to be checked as the battery should last some years depending on the amount of sun at the location.

and from another post....

There have been two kinds of low battery issue with the Vue:

1. Genuine but premature low battery issue, apparently due in most cases to moisture tracking across a set of gold contacts on the rain/battery PCBA, which then runs down the battery. This has been fixed in more recent revisions, but there is a retrospective fix which is crude but effective - just requires smearing some special insulating grease across the contacts to prevent the tracking. (There is also a small subset of genuine battery issues apparently caused by a supercap fault. The Vue main PCBA is potted and so there's no way of seeing or replacing the supercap. In general, this should ensure that the PCBA and supercap have a long service life, but in rare instances the supercap may have suffered latent damage during manufacture. This issue really is quite uncommon though.)

2. Spurious low battery warnings, apparently caused by two factors. One is that the ISS warning flag can seemingly be triggered by a very brief and transient low voltage (perhaps when the unit is switching from one power source to another), but once triggered, the console warning will then not reset automatically until midnight on the day of occurrence. The other is that the original low battery warning is very sensitive - arguably too sensitive. In the Rev F Vue the ISS low battery threshold was lowered from 2.8v to 2.0v. Also, as of console firmware revision 2.14, the time threshold over which an ISS low battery flag needed to be seen was extended to 2 minutes before triggering the console warning.

So, on older Vue stations, there were various reasons why an ISS low battery can be seen, but on more recent models this problem should largely have been eradicated.
- Pete
Automator
WXStevo
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 8

Post by WXStevo »

@pete_c
im Sorry i dont understand? what battery are you talking about? transmitter or the battery?
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Post by pete_c »

on my Davis Vantage Vue i have low Battery transmitter 1
Refers to the battery on the weather station talking on channel 1 and that the battery is low.

There is one transmitter battery in the Davis Vantage Vue ISS weather station and 4 batteries in the Davis console. Typically the Davis console is plugged in to a transformer and the batteries for the console are not much of an issue unless you do not use an AC transformer.

The Davis Vantage Vue ISS low battery transmitter message is just telling you that you have to change the battery on the weather station.

It is said that this battery lasts up to 2 years or more sometimes.

I stated above that I got the same message as you did on my Vantage Vue weather station (ISS) last week. I purchased a new battery for it last Friday. I plan on changing the battery this week.
- Pete
Automator