Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis VP2 setup

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Davis VP2 setup

Post by billy »

I am considering purchasing a Davis VP2 to use with MX on windows 10. I am a little confused about whether I need Weatherlink and some other issues (eg USB versus serial) with the VP2 and my search of the forum has not found the help I need - which is really a summary of what one should/could purchase and the setup. Is this outlined somewhere on the forum and my incompetence with searching is the reason for the failure to find it?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis VP2 setup

Post by steve »

You need a logger as you can't connect a Davis station to a computer without one. The type (serial/USB/IP) doesn't matter as far as Cumulus is concerned. The Weatherlink software is included with the logger; Cumulus doesn't require it, but it can be convenient to use it in setting up your station.

There is a FAQ entry about USB loggers - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F
Steve
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

Thank you
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Paul C »

Hi

Decided to take the plunge and I have bought a new PC, which arrived yesterday. Eager to get Cumulus working on the new machine but struggling with swopping it over. Its been installed for that long I have forgotten what to do !!

I have so far downloaded Weatherlink 6.0.3 exe - hope thats correct and I thought I had downloaded that extra USB/ serial port file - neither appear to work

Weatherlink says it wont work as its in the wrong folder and the USB file just flicks off the screen without doing anything.

Can someone help me with what exactly I should be downloading and installing

Many thanks
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You should be able to get away without Weatherlink - it sounds like what you have is just the update, I don't think Davis make the full version available for download. If you install the driver from Silabs as described in this FAQ - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F - that should be all you need to get Cumulus talking to the station.
Steve
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

You know I've always wondered if there was a way to change settings within the station (logging interval, alarms and such) without the requirement of having to have Weatherlink. I lost my disk eons ago. I've read Davis' protocol document and I'm sure most of that stuff can be set up via the menu on the station but it would be nice to figure out a way to reset the logging interval if needed (not that I need it now, I was more wondering if there's a way to do this without WL being a requirement).
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather ... converter/

Please confirm this is the link ??

I have now found my old weatherlink 5.7 and updated to latest version ( prior to reading above messages)

tried the CP210x but doesnt work, see attached error
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Update

I am not sure how I have managed it but this is what I have done

Uninstalled version weatherlink 6.03
re installed 5.7 (disc)
re booted PC
Re installed usb davis serial link thing ( just installed, nothing else pressed)
opened Weatherlink and pretended to create a new station, asked to auto look up com port and after a while it found it on com4
Closed Weatherlink
Inserted Com 4 on cumulus
Bingo - data now works on Cumulus

( I must create a complete idiots guide to this on the wiki, then dumbos like me can understand it ) :bash:

cheers everyone - back to my new PC :D
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

BigOkie wrote:I was more wondering if there's a way to do this without WL being a requirement).
You can connect a terminal program to the console and type the commands from the serial protocol spec.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Paul C wrote:I am not sure how I have managed it but this is what I have done
I'm pretty sure that when I did the same thing recently, all I did was what I suggested above - install the drivers from the Silabs site (not from Davis), and then run Cumulus.
Steve
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

I recently wanted to change my Davis VP2 logging interval to five minutes from the default value of 30. I had noticed during a power failure that my Davis was only logging every30 minutes. I found this could not be changed from the console. I had blown away Weatherlink on the PC where I used to run Cumulus and couldn't find the CD. I contacted Davis and they emailed me a link to download the full latest version. For some reason they only publish the update files on the public website and not the full version.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3