Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis anemometer cups not moving in light wind

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Davis anemometer cups not moving in light wind

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote:wow - that looks as though it has just been found after lying in a muddy field for 6 months. :?

I hope it gets sorted quickly for you, Ray.
Thanks Mapantz. I sent it back to ProData this morning. They'll have it tomorrow so maybe their first impression before the weekend. Seems a poor design when muck can get inside such a critical area. In comparison the cups were almost spotless! :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Post by jdc »

The bearing itself doesn't look bad externally, but the 'sealed for life' bearings nowadays have a tiny amount of grease in them. I suppose for an anemometer any bearing drag at all will be critical so these may have even less! I find that bearings that are stationary for long periods are more likely to fail (due to rust on the balls) than those in constant use.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

jdc wrote:The bearing itself doesn't look bad externally, but the 'sealed for life' bearings nowadays have a tiny amount of grease in them. I suppose for an anemometer any bearing drag at all will be critical so these may have even less! I find that bearings that are stationary for long periods are more likely to fail (due to rust on the balls) than those in constant use.
Thanks John. With dead calms quite rare at 10 meters it's reasonable to assume there shouldn't be any rust internally. In any case shouldn't they use stainless steel if this is critical?

It will probably be a few days before ProData give me their analysis of the problem.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Post by jdc »

In any case shouldn't they use stainless steel if this is critical?
I agree stainless would be better especially considering there is virtually no load on them. Expense?
The Davis bearings will probably be a 20p stock item from China.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Penny wise, pound foolish springs to mind. :roll:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Heard back from ProData this morning. They agree that the spindle is not moving freely because of dirt inside the bearing. They have kindly offered to replace the wind cartridge free of charge. :clap:

They need to order some from Davis so it will be a few weeks before it's returned to me. I have asked why the inner workings of such a delicate instrument can become contaminated after only 3 years. Design suspect? :?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Red Raspberry
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Post by Red Raspberry »

I've had the Davis anemometers for over 20 years now. The only improvement to them over the years is the orientation of the reed switch, there is also a molded in drip edge on the newer wind cups.. For 5 years I used to old Weather Monitor II style on my Vantage Pro 2 station with no problems.

Last year I started having a problem and changed out to the Vantage Pro 2 style and it worked for awhile. Then quit working again last week. I had to change out the transmitter.

That being said the Davis techs were clueless on the compatibility of the two anemometers and insisted the older style would not work with the Vantage Pro 2. And they are wrong. They will send you a push button switch you can plug into the wind port on the transmitter. With this you can test the transmitter as each press is the same as the reed switch opening and closing.

Strange you had so much dirt in there as mine do not have any. The bearings are ball bearings and probably cost under $10 retail. I should disassemble one of my old ones as I have many small bearings here. Maybe I can find one that fits.

Is the wind cup positioned on the shaft correctly?
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Red Raspberry wrote:I've had the Davis anemometers for over 20 years now. The only improvement to them over the years is the orientation of the reed switch, there is also a molded in drip edge on the newer wind cups.. For 5 years I used to old Weather Monitor II style on my Vantage Pro 2 station with no problems.

Last year I started having a problem and changed out to the Vantage Pro 2 style and it worked for awhile. Then quit working again last week. I had to change out the transmitter.

That being said the Davis techs were clueless on the compatibility of the two anemometers and insisted the older style would not work with the Vantage Pro 2. And they are wrong. They will send you a push button switch you can plug into the wind port on the transmitter. With this you can test the transmitter as each press is the same as the reed switch opening and closing.

Strange you had so much dirt in there as mine do not have any. The bearings are ball bearings and probably cost under $10 retail. I should disassemble one of my old ones as I have many small bearings here. Maybe I can find one that fits.

Is the wind cup positioned on the shaft correctly?
You should know all about Davis anemometers then! :D Whilst Davis may send out things to their US customers there's no chance for us Brits or anyone else outside the States. You're very lucky.

Yes, I don't understand why it was so dirty inside. I don't live in an urban area and there is no industry near me. Roads and traffic of course but also plenty of fields. As far as it being positioned correctly the instructions are pretty simple. Push it up and tighten the allen screw. It should drop slightly when released. It does.

Haven't heard back from my UK supplier yet but shouldn't be too long now. No rush as the returned one will become a spare.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

StormCapture
Weather Station: Davis Pro 2 Plus / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by StormCapture »

My Pro 2 anemometer sites around 60cm apart from the FO WH1081 Anemometer but at an extra 1.2m, and my Davis anemometer will not move while the 1081 will move, it can read up to 6.1 before the Davis considers moving. Bearings and that are clean and still does it, beats me why but it's something I'm not a fan of. But once it gets going then it's fine.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

The sticking anemometer appears to be back again just 3 years after it was replaced. How disappointing. :(

Looking at it the vane is moving freely but the cups aren't. They startup when a gust comes along but then stop very quickly instead of just winding down.

I'll be writing to ProData as they said the design had been modified but sadly it doesn't seem to be working. Worst bit is access to swap it out. I doubt I can get onto my roof these days and whether aerial fitters are up to the job is debatable.

It wouldn't be so bad if it was a cheap 'n cheerful anemometer but this is meant to be quality kit. I'm wondering if it's worth sticking with Davis. Are there any alternatives that are more reliable?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Maybe it is in the stream of chimney smoke or other air pollution which gets inside it?
Just pops up while reading your message ;)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I haven't had much luck with the Davis anemometers either. I went through 3 in 18 months. This 4th one has been fine for the last 2 years - touch wood it stays that way. :lol:
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

HansR wrote: Thu 16 Apr 2020 8:13 pm Maybe it is in the stream of chimney smoke or other air pollution which gets inside it?
Just pops up while reading your message ;)
No one has fires with chimney smoke around here. Illegal.

I've spoken to the friend who mounted the pole on the chimney stack with the ane on top. He's suggested a telescopic pole made of fibreglass. It can be attached to brackets on the side of the house and is sufficiently light not to need guy stays. This is a definite option.
https://www.radioworld.co.uk/weather_an ... st_8x5ft_s

Expensive yes, but given the cost of the Davis kit not too much. And most importantly, it will allow me to lower the mast and gain access to the anemometer for maintenance / replacement. His wife doesn't allow him to climb on his roof any more but mine is much easier but we're both not getting any younger. It will be accessible from the flat garage roof which I can still get to easily. 8ft up a ladder.

Just need to wait until the lockdown is over which means another 3 weeks minimum. The ane is still rotating with a strong enough wind but it's clear there's dirt inside restricting free movement.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Mapantz wrote: Thu 16 Apr 2020 8:29 pm I haven't had much luck with the Davis anemometers either. I went through 3 in 18 months. This 4th one has been fine for the last 2 years - touch wood it stays that way. :lol:
I shouldn't feel unlucky then. Clearly there are issues with dirt ingress. Is that why yours failed? My mate was telling me that fancy £500 alternative anemometer still has problems. For something so simple it seems beyond the wit of man to make a reliable one.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Davis kit is usually pretty good quality. My anemo is the original from 2007, and has been used at 5 different sites - two of which were fastened to a smoky chimney. I guess I got lucky with my particular specimen.
Freddie