Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Sudden Spikes on Wunderground

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
StormCapture
Weather Station: Davis Pro 2 Plus / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Sudden Spikes on Wunderground

Post by StormCapture »

Almost every time I boot up cumulus from the previous shut down which is typically over a 12 hour period since the last, sometimes up to 3 days, when the data "Catches Up" to Weather Underground, it shows a weird spike in most to all of the observations when Cumulus was opened. Dew Point, Temperature and Barometer is usually the main culprit but it never shows on the software, It also uploads to WOW and no spikes appear there. Is this normal Wunderground Behavior? It also happened prior me linking Cumulus to WOW.
This only shows up on at least 1 day per week, sometimes up to 2.

Spike as Follows:
9:20 AM 16.9 °C 11.2 °C 69 % NW 46.7 kph 46.7 kph 1008 hPa
9:31 AM 23.4 °C 7.4 °C 36 % NNW 25.7 kph 25.7 kph 1000.6 hPa
9:36 AM 16.8 °C 10.6 °C 67 % NW 30.6 kph 41.8 kph 1008 hPa

It's my Davis Pro 2 Plus that it is connected.

It is the latest Edition of Cumulus Version 1.9.4 Build 1099, Operates on Windows 10. The Pro 2 Plus is connected to MeteoBridge and Cumulus reads it Via the TCP/IP address.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Sudden Spikes on Wunderground

Post by steve »

If you zip up the diags folder and attach it to a reply in this thread, I'll take a look. Could you please also tell me the date of those readings that you have quoted. Are those readings consecutive, and from the 'catch up' period (i.e. the period when Cumulus was closed down)? They're at strange intervals for a Davis - during catch up, Cumulus uploads one entry to WU for each logger entry downloaded (and uploads the same data to WOW).

Are the dates, times, and timezones set correctly on all of the equipment involved?
Steve
StormCapture

Post by StormCapture »

Hi Steve,

These readings were for yesterday (30th October 2016), The time on the PC and the Davis are very close together and yes all time zones are set to our time being Australian Central Daylight Savings Time

The spikes are not consecutive as they only occurred once out of the entire day.
Yes they were from the catch up period I believe it occurred when Cumulus was opened on the PC or very close to the times of the spikes occurred.

I don't really experience these spikes with the Fine Offset Station when the station Catches up
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The 9.20 upload was from the last archive record, so the following two, including the bogus one, were from 'live' data (and are not logged in the diags file). I can't think of any way that Cumulus could have just made up those readings, so I can only think it actually got those readings from the station (via Meteobridge). Perhaps it's a bug in Meteobridge - I'm not aware of anyone else reporting this problem, and I ran Cumulus 1 for years with a Davis station, uploading to WU without seeing this problem.

You could try turning on the debug log before you start Cumulus next time (add "Logging=1" to the [Station] section of Cumulus.ini) and then debug.log file will show the WU uploads - assuming you're not using rapid fire. And if you are using rapid fire, you might want to consider turning it off.

Is it possible that something else is also updating WU - like the Meteobridge?
Steve
StormCapture

Post by StormCapture »

Rapid Fire is currently enabled, so I'll disable it,

The Meteobridge also uploads data to another WU account being the Backup one so while I am not at home, I can still see weather conditions
I'll also try the Debugging of the logs to help also.