Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Error light problem

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
sunseeker
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Error light problem

Post by sunseeker »

Cumulus 1 build 1.9.4 build 1099.
New station Installed 26/3/2017
I recently replaced my old LaCrosse station with Vantage Vue and decided to discard my old data and start from scratch by deleting all the files in the data folder. Cumulus is collecting the new data but as new records are set I am getting an error message "error writing monthlyalltime.ini. Cannot create file C\cumulus\data\monthlyalltime.ini. Cannot access file because it is being used by another process"
I have searched the forum and note that some anti virus software can cause problems but I only have microsoft security essentials and malwarebytes installed. I also have data backing up to BT cloud so could this be causing a conflict

Am I missing something here. The days and months highs and lows appear to be registering correctly in the historic data
thanks in advance.
Mike

www.corfemullenweather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Error light problem

Post by steve »

I can't tell you any more than what you have quoted - another process apparently has the file open and so Cumulus cannot write to it. That process is most likely another program, but it could be another instance of Cumulus (perhaps you inadvertently have two instances running), or perhaps you have Cumulus uploading the file to a web server?

The most likely cause is the one you suggest, the backup software.
Steve
sunseeker

Post by sunseeker »

Thanks Steve.
I will have a scout around and see what I can come up with. I don't really understand the mechanism of how the historical data is being updated if Cumulus cannot access the relative files but then there is quite a lot I don't understand with computers!! Both the daily and monthly highs and lows that have been recorded appear to be correct so far.

Mike
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It may be unable to write to the file only some of the time.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'm assuming that you've actually looked at monthlyalltime.ini and seen that it is being written to (at least some of the time)? The fact that it's updating the records on screen and on the web doesn't mean that it's written to the file.
Steve
sunseeker

Post by sunseeker »

Hi Steve,

Yes I have checked that and data is being written to the monthlyalltime.ini etc at some time or other as you suggest, but as a follow up to my original post I have disabled BT Cloud and over the last 36 hours or so I have not had any red light error incidents, despite many new records being set with the new station, so it looks as if that was the culprit. Might be useful info for anyone else experiencing the same problem.

Whilst I am posting just a thank you for continuing with Cumulus and support issues. I continue to enjoy using the software and another donation is on its way.
regards
Mike