Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Mulch as ground cover under weather station?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
krmidas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 10

Mulch as ground cover under weather station?

Post by krmidas »

Because some trees got too big on my property, I had to re-site my station elsewhere. I ended up putting it at the back of my property, on a hill that is covered with dried out mulch. My suspicion is that even though the mulch is not fresh, this type of ground cover will raise my temperature readings more than siting it over grass. The consensus I've been finding online seems to be "the ground beneath the sensor should be short grass or natural earth, not asphalt, concrete, areas of standing water, etc." I would assume dried out mulch wouldn't generate more heat than "natural earth", but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts? Would I be better off planting some ground cover in a 6 foot radius under the station?

-Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom Keramidas, Lake Zurich, IL, USA
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Mulch as ground cover under weather station?

Post by mcrossley »

I'm no expert, but i would think that would be fine.

The temperature sensor is supposed to be at 6 feet, but the rain lower, not much you can do with the standard Davis setup, I'd try and get the temperature sensor at the correct height as the rain gauge is comprised already by the trees (supposed to be at least 4x the height away from nearest obstruction - not something many amateurs can achieve).