Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain Gauge Failing

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Rain Gauge Failing

Post by Mapantz »

On the wettest day for quite some time, I noticed my station's rain is reading around half of what my manual gauges have. On further inspection, it is only registering a tip one way. I haven't touched anything, I just sprayed some compressed air around a few parts to get rid of some spider caucuses and bits of web, but still no joy. What are the options? I can quickly order a new base for £40 but I wondered if there was an easier fix?

I cannot believe how many issues I have had with this station. I've had more problems with this one than I did with 3 previous and different stations put together. :?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Rain Gauge Failing

Post by mcrossley »

I had to replace the reed switch in mine - luckily I had a couple lying around in old burglar alarm contact switches.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I've just done a bit of investigative work and I don't think it is the reed switch. I unplugged the rain gauge from the transmitter, then plugged it back in, and then tipped the bucket - registered rain. I then tipped it back the other way - nothing. So I thought it was only registering one way, so I unplugged it again, and tipped it the opposite way and it registered. So it registers rain both ways, but only after I have unplugged it and plugged it back in. I used some compressed air inside of the socket and on the plug itself but no joy, it doesn't register rain again after one tip. The plug and socket look fine, no corrosion or water ingress - all clean and tidy. :(
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Solar sensor on it's way out now..

That's 3 anemometers, 2 solar sensors and one rain gauge that has gone, and the station is only 20 months old. I will never buy a Davis product again!

Console to Transmitter Resynchs: 25
SolarDay.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Note sure if yours solar sensor if you have 25 re-syncs! Looks like ISS contact is being lost. Is the battery OK?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Yeah, I just tested the battery and it's fully charged. I had the 'R' showing up on the console, so I would guess that the transmitter is failing? I cannot record any rain at all now, only if I pull out the cable, insert it again, then make it tip. After that, it stops again.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Try the wind in the rain socket briefly - that should record lots of tips if it is spinning!
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

mcrossley wrote:Try the wind in the rain socket briefly - that should record lots of tips if it is spinning!
I was just about to try that until I realised that it is on the roof with it's own transmitter.
forestedge
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus DFARS
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit

Post by forestedge »

Mapantz wrote:Solar sensor on it's way out now..

That's 3 anemometers, 2 solar sensors and one rain gauge that has gone, and the station is only 20 months old. I will never buy a Davis product again!

Console to Transmitter Resynchs: 25

SolarDay.png
My experience with Davis has been the uv sensor started playing up after 18 months and I eventually replaced it this year. After 3 years the barometric sensor failed and because it is part of the VP2 console it was not repairable/replaceable. I contacted the Davis service agent in Portsmouth and drove there with the console to test. http://www.davisweather.co.uk/contact-details. They were very helpful. :)
They offered me a Vue console from stock, considerably cheaper than a Vantage and compatible with the ISS. They stock a wide range of spares and may be sympathetic to your experience, depending on where you bought the original VP2.
Certainly I feel Davis should offer a 24 mth warranty for such a premium product.