Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weatherlink and Connection Type to Use Cumulus?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
rutat

Weatherlink and Connection Type to Use Cumulus?

Post by rutat »

Just got a new VP2 pro - which connection type for the logger do I use? The Davis manual has all sorts of dire warnings about irrevocably setting the connection type (serial, USB etc.) if one wants to use third party apps like Cumulus? Can Cumulus work on the Weatherlink logger if USB is chosen?

Page 18 in http://www.davisnet.com/product_documen ... 0_6555.pdf isn't all that helpful! (I do understand there is some sort of util now available/included to change the logger bits between the two modes. I'd just rather not screw up my logger in trying Cumulus.)

Cumulus sure looks like an awesome alternative to WL (I've used Weather-Display in the past and it does not thrill me)
Last edited by rutat on Thu 27 Nov 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akinvic
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2

Re: Weatherlink adn Connection Type to Use Cumulus?

Post by akinvic »

When you bought your station, it would have been either the serial OR USB version - if you bought Weatherlink & the logger, that is. So you have one or the other. If you want to run more than one piece of weather software to read data from your station, I would recommend you check out SoftWX's VirtualVP program. The link is http://www.softwx.com. It'll work with either serial or USB.

Hope that helps :)

Cheers,
Andreas
Last edited by akinvic on Thu 27 Nov 2008 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

If you have stopped using Weather-Display.... you just use the same port it did. Typically COM1 (but could be different).

If you are using more than one program, you would need to use something like VirtalVP from WxSoft. That would allow you have multiple applications working off the same VP2.
rutat

Post by rutat »

I bought the USB version since the PC I am going to use (an eee PC actually!) only has USB. I guess what I was hoping is that Cumulus would allow me to set up the regular Weatherlink USB connection be be a "vampire" on the datafiles without the need for another SW package. Although I will check that link you mention. Thanks!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

If you don't want to use VirtualVP, then to use Cumulus with a USB VP2, you will need to use the CP210X USB to Serial Converter software driver that Davis supply with the station. This is how Weatherlink used to work before they added the direct USB option.

Steve
rutat

Post by rutat »

[quote="TNETWeather"]If you have stopped using Weather-Display.... you just use the same port it did. Typically COM1 (but could be different).
...quote]

The WD was on a diff machine with diff hardware (1-Wire). I got tired of futzing with the hardware and wanted a simple wireless install.
rutat

Re: Weatherlink and Connection Type to Use Cumulus?

Post by rutat »

Thanks Steve! So if I get this right, to try Cumulus if I have selected direct USB in my VP station, I have to convert it using the converter tool from Davis. Then if I decide to use WL , I set it up again as direct USB. Maybe it is worth trying VirtualVP... :)

Cumulus just looks SO clean compared to WD and WL! :)
IT Farmer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2, Boltek

Post by IT Farmer »

rutat wrote:Thanks Steve! So if I get this right, to try Cumulus if I have selected direct USB in my VP station, I have to convert it using the converter tool from Davis. Then if I decide to use WL , I set it up again as direct USB. Maybe it is worth trying VirtualVP... :)

Cumulus just looks SO clean compared to WD and WL! :)
True, i am in the process of trying to migrate from WD to Cumulus, essential all I am after is an application that collects data from VP station and put it in a db. Cumulus looks like a good step in the right direction.

H.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

IT Farmer wrote:an application that collects data from VP station and put it in a db.
My Cumulus 2 prototype currently stores its data in a SQLite database. Or did you just mean db in a more general sense?

Steve