Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Vue Mounting Option Comments

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
pete_c
Weather Station: Davis Vue-Pro2 - Fine Offset
Operating System: W2003-XPSP3-Linux

Davis Vantage Vue Mounting Option Comments

Post by pete_c »

I am looking to relocate my Davis Vantage Vue. I was thinking of purchasing one of these and wondering if anyone out there is using this mast for their weather station. I am looking to mount it to one side of the chimney such that the top is about 3-4 feet higher than the top of the chimney.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwewewestmo.html

I also was considering the 35" extension to the above mentioned mast.

It looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Pete
Automator
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis Vantage Vue Mounting Option Comments

Post by steve »

With the Vue being an all-in-one device, siting it is always going to be compromise, but you do realise that putting it that high up will affect your rain and temperature readings? And if the chimney you mention is actually in use, that will affect it too.
Steve
pete_c

Post by pete_c »

Thank-you Steve. The chimney has two smaller stacks in / out of it. One if for the fireplace we seldom use and the other is for the hot water heater. I was also considering the other side of the house with a different roof and a bit lower than the roof with the chimney.

Do you think then its better just to leave it at about 3 meters on a wooden post instead of up higher?
- Pete
Automator
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'd be inclined to keep it lower down, yes, unless your wind speed reading would be severely affected and that was important to you. You also have the issue of access for maintenance to consider.
Steve
mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

pete_c wrote:I am looking to relocate my Davis Vantage Vue. I was thinking of purchasing one of these and wondering if anyone out there is using this mast for their weather station. I am looking to mount it to one side of the chimney such that the top is about 3-4 feet higher than the top of the chimney.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwewewestmo.html

I also was considering the 35" extension to the above mentioned mast.

It looks like this:
Hi Pete,
I have a Vantage Vue and it is located on top of a three story building, like Steve said you will have maintenance issues, IE battery changes, rain collector cleaning, solar panel cleaning. If you do decide to mount it on the roof, a good idea is to attach a couple of long cable ties so as to deter birds depositing seeds in the rain gauge.

Cheers

Brian
pete_c

Post by pete_c »

Thanks guys.

The other roof actually would give me the 2nd story height but it is pitched such that I could lower the mast and still be on the roof getting to it easier in a way than where my legacy weather station is mounted. I will take pictures of my endeavor.
- Pete
Automator