Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Extra sensors

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Extra sensors

Post by steve »

I'm investigating adding support for extra Davis sensors. I propose that initially there will be a separate window which displays the current values, and a separate log file 'parallel' to the 'monthly' log files which simply logs the current values at the same interval as the 'normal' logging. At some point in the future I may do something with the values (e.g. highs and lows, graphs etc).

I'm a little confused by how many of each type of sensor I need to cater for. The Davis DLL allows me to read the following 'live' data:

7 extra temp, 7 extra humidity, 4 soil moisture, 4 soil temp, 2 leaf wetness, 2 leaf temp

But the logger entries have:

3 extra temp, 2 extra humidity, 4 soil moisture, 4 soil temp, 2 leaf wetness, 2 leaf temp

So there's a discrepancy in the number of extra temp and humidity sensors. Does anyone know how many I actually need to cater for? If it's more than the number in the logger entries, then there will be gaps in the data for those sensors which aren't in the logger entries (if you don't run software 24/7)?

I will probably incorporate support for additional sensors for Oregon Scientific stations, and I think I need to go up to 10 extra temp and humidity sensors for those anyway. But I'd still like to understand the situation with the Davis sensors.
Steve
MackerelSky
Weather Station: Davis VP2 w/FARS
Operating System: Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 x64

Re: Extra sensors

Post by MackerelSky »

steve wrote:I'm investigating adding support for extra Davis sensors. I propose that initially there will be a separate window which displays the current values, and a separate log file 'parallel' to the 'monthly' log files which simply logs the current values at the same interval as the 'normal' logging. At some point in the future I may do something with the values (e.g. highs and lows, graphs etc).

I'm a little confused by how many of each type of sensor I need to cater for. The Davis DLL allows me to read the following 'live' data:

7 extra temp, 7 extra humidity, 4 soil moisture, 4 soil temp, 2 leaf wetness, 2 leaf temp

But the logger entries have:

3 extra temp, 2 extra humidity, 4 soil moisture, 4 soil temp, 2 leaf wetness, 2 leaf temp

So there's a discrepancy in the number of extra temp and humidity sensors. Does anyone know how many I actually need to cater for? If it's more than the number in the logger entries, then there will be gaps in the data for those sensors which aren't in the logger entries (if you don't run software 24/7)?

I will probably incorporate support for additional sensors for Oregon Scientific stations, and I think I need to go up to 10 extra temp and humidity sensors for those anyway. But I'd still like to understand the situation with the Davis sensors.
Hi Steve,

Not enough to do this week? lol

My lady and I are planning on adding a couple of sensors for the garden and back yard areas next year, and maybe an extra annemometer up at our house, instead of down on the valley floor...other than that, I can't imagine anyone needing more than what the logger is handling unless they were 'commercial'...

As far as what the DLL allows, I've never owned anything, that I know of, to read them puppies...Wouldn't anything past what the logger shows be fodder for a money making piece of software, *commercial growers*?

As far as display, a secondary window on the software would be fine with a log like you mentioned...If you could include webtags so that I could show my lady on the web, instead of giving her permission to play with my cumulus computer :clap: , would be all I would need...

Brad
Davis VP2/FARS
Cumulus 1.9.4(1092)

McKean Weather
'cause not everyone lives at the airport

duke

Post by duke »

I was just about to post asking about displaying the leaf and moisture station, glad I did a search first.

Duke
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Rewritten for more clarity:

I think it depends on whether we're talking about loop or archive packets. When Davis talk about 'logging' they tend to be referring to archive data. So although the loop data packet formats were designed with space for 8 extra T/H values (and indeed the VP2 console is able to receive and display 8 such values), for some reason - available processing capacity in the loop cycle? - the archive data packets have space only for 2 such xT/H values. The DLL is presumably looking at the loop packets.

I've never really looked at loop packets with 3 or more xT/H transmitters installed. It's conceivable that the data is there for the extra sensors. And even if not, then it's not inconceivable that a future new standard console type, perhaps with a faster CPU or more memory, could have the capability to populate the missing fields in a new archive format.

And then there's also the Envoy8x of course, which does already have the capacity to log 8 T/H sensors, although not in any way that's currently accessible to third-party programs except via them reading its WDTU SQL databases.
Last edited by prodata on Sat 27 Aug 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

MackerelSky wrote:Not enough to do this week? lol
Always too much to do, Brad :lol: But it just seems like something that's obviously "missing".
If you could include webtags
Yes, I'll be sure to add web tags for them all.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

prodata wrote:So for the time being you would probably be safe with 3+2. But it's not inconceivable that a future new standard console type, perhaps with a faster CPU or more memory, could have the capability to populate the missing fields.
Thanks, John. I think that as the DLL and LOOP packets allow for 8 I may as well attempt to read 8, since I have to do 10 for the OS stations.
Steve
Emjay
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ with Soil Station
Operating System: WIN7 & 2008 64bit

Post by Emjay »

Hi all,
New user here, but had my eye on Cumulus for some time.

For me I cannot make the jump without adding support for the Davis VP2 extra sensors, in my case a fully loaded soil moisture station.

I know from other post some users want the extra sensors addition.

So my question to Steve is; how much of a donation would it take to jump start this development :oops:

Cheeky I know but you got to try! :D
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Emjay wrote:So my question to Steve is; how much of a donation would it take to jump start this development :oops:
Thank you, but it's more a case of finding the time and having the desire to do more (major) work on Cumulus. At the moment I have very little of either. But I'm sure this won't always be the case, and 'extra sensors' are quite high on the priority list.
Steve
ken524
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by ken524 »

Any update on the "Extra Sensors" project for the Davis VP? I just added a temp sensor for our pool and would love a webtag for it.

Thanks again for the great software!
Ken
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's still fairly high up on the list of things to do. Unfortunately I've had very little time for Cumulus development over the last few months, but hopefully this will change before too long.
Steve
ken524

Post by ken524 »

steve wrote: I'm a little confused by how many of each type of sensor I need to cater for. The Davis DLL allows me to read the following 'live' data...
Steve,

The most current version of WeatherLink provides tags for

If you supported those, you would at least match the functionality of WeatherLink.

BTW, I just upgraded to the latest Cumulus and love the new look and changes. I was about 3 releases behind.

Thanks!
Ken
ken524

Post by ken524 »

steve wrote:It's still fairly high up on the list of things to do. Unfortunately I've had very little time for Cumulus development over the last few months, but hopefully this will change before too long.
I completely understand and am very grateful for what you have done!
duke

Post by duke »

Can Cumulus currently display information from a second ISS or would this be "extra sensors"?

Duke
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

duke wrote:Can Cumulus currently display information from a second ISS or would this be "extra sensors"?
You can only connect one ISS to a Davis station, so a second ISS would have to be on a separate station, and Cumulus can only drive one station at a time, so the second station/ISS would require a second instance of Cumulus running.
Steve
duke

Post by duke »

steve wrote:
duke wrote:Can Cumulus currently display information from a second ISS or would this be "extra sensors"?
You can only connect one ISS to a Davis station, so a second ISS would have to be on a separate station, and Cumulus can only drive one station at a time, so the second station/ISS would require a second instance of Cumulus running.

I assumed (incorrectly) that it was possible to use a second ISS as temp / humidity sensor only.

Thanks for putting me straight.

Duke