Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help please on Vue/Cumulus set up

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mjn
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Help please on Vue/Cumulus set up

Post by mjn »

Currently using a Mac but plan to purchase a Vue and use Cumulus as the start of a website.

Que 1...As I also have a redundant notebook computer running Windows would I be advised to get the usb Windows datalink (Cumulus does not run on Mac) and connect it to the Notepad. (does this mean it has to be left on all the time if linked to a website with Cumulus as the interface? ...is there any benefit in using the Mac USB datalink attached to the Mac?

Que 2... looking to use RSHostinguk (good / bad ?) as the host. If I use WordPress to build the website on this will it support the Cumulus upload?

Que 3.... Will I be able to use my Mac to build and develop the website with the Vue attached to the Windows note book?

(I previously had a 1-wire set up with WD to about a year ago but a mouse with time on its hand took a liking to the wires and unit ....so now going up market!
Cumulus does everything I need and got fed up with the tweaking WD to keep it working)

Thanks...........
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Help please on Vue/Cumulus set up

Post by steve »

mjn wrote:Que 1...As I also have a redundant notebook computer running Windows would I be advised to get the usb Windows datalink (Cumulus does not run on Mac) and connect it to the Notepad. (does this mean it has to be left on all the time if linked to a website with Cumulus as the interface? ...is there any benefit in using the Mac USB datalink attached to the Mac?
I think the hardware part of Weatherlink is the same whether you buy the PC version or the Mac version, only the software is different. But I don't think Davis make the full versions of the software available for download now, only updates. So you'd have to decide whether you wanted WL software for the Mac or the PC as an alternative to Cumulus.

If you want Cumulus to update a web site 24/7, you'd have to run Cumulus 24/7 - sorry if I've misunderstood the question.
Que 2... looking to use RSHostinguk (good / bad ?) as the host. If I use WordPress to build the website on this will it support the Cumulus upload?
Can't help you with that, but someone was asking about incorporating Cumulus web pages into a WP site only a day or two ago elsewhere on the forum.
Que 3.... Will I be able to use my Mac to build and develop the website with the Vue attached to the Windows note book?
Yes, you can develop your web site pages on the Mac, and then copy them to somewhere that Cumulus had access to for it to upload. Or you could have a site that didn't depend on Cumulus uploading the actual pages, e.g. PHP pages getting their data from a single file of data uploaded by Cumulus.
Steve