Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Restarting after power outage

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

GlueGuy2
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Linux Buster

Restarting after power outage

Post by GlueGuy2 »

We live in a rural area, so we probably have more power outages than are "typical". We have MX running on a raspberry pi, and it works great 99% of the time.

Because of power issue, we have the pi power coming through an APC UPS. So when the juice goes out, the pi keeps running. That part is great.

Our Davis Vantage Pro II also keeps running because it has battery backup.

However, the DVPII and the pi are in different parts of the house, and the ethernet goes through a couple of switches, which do not have backup power.

So what happens after the power comes back, is we usually have to reboot the pi to get cumulus working again. The pi/cumulus "try" to talk to the DVPII, but nothing happens.

Sometimes we also have to reboot the DVPII.

Is there something I can do to help the pi re-make the connection? Power often comes back at ~~ 2AM, so it's not always convenient to go to my office and reboot the pi.
bp
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Restarting after power outage

Post by freddie »

GlueGuy2 wrote:Is there something I can do to help the pi re-make the connection?
The most obvious thing to me is to have the switches using the UPS too.
Freddie
liddelljs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1001
Operating System: RPi 3 Raspbian Buster

Post by liddelljs »

I believe this is an issue with the pi that the ethernet connection gets lost and doesn't restart automatically. I found this script on the web to solve this but I must admit I have tried it and couldn't get it to work for me. I have probably done something wrong so if you try it and get it to work, would be interested.

Steve

https://samhobbs.co.uk/2013/11/fix-for- ... spberry-pi
GlueGuy2

Post by GlueGuy2 »

freddie wrote:
GlueGuy2 wrote:Is there something I can do to help the pi re-make the connection?
The most obvious thing to me is to have the switches using the UPS too.
Sure, that would be obvious. One of the switches is located with the raspberry pi, but the other switch is not so convenient, or even close. Back with our network hub. It would take some doing to get continuous power there simply because of space constraints.
bp
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

I am not sure, if I am wrong but when the switch near to the Raspberry Pi is also connnected to a UPS it should not be aware of a network outage sionce the network is still connected to a workiong switch. there is a working connection between Pi and Switch so for Raspberry Pi, network is still okay.
Also if the switch is not connected to the UPS, the RaspberryPi should reconnect to the rest of the world in the moment, Network connection is available again.
I bet, this has nothing to do with the Raspberrypi and Network....but maybe that the Software which is looking for the DVPII is not able to reconnect.
Also when Raspi is using DHCP, a lost connection for less then x hours should not cause the Rasperry to loose his IP Address.
Jan
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

POE switches that both supply POE and can be powered off POE. Some of the cheaper SG300-10P Cisco switches do this, I have the same setup. I have a small 10port switch at one end of the house that's remote not near outlets and is powered by another SG300-10P that has POE at the other end of the house. Plus one into the single UPS, you're good. I have my router, cable modem, and my Pi (3.0 now!) on a CyberPower UPS, along with a NAS and Media PC in another area on another UPS. I still lose internet in a power outage however due to the fact that a small power adapter that plugs into a 10 way COAX splitter for our home COAX / Cable connection needs to be powered. It's in a very remote area behind a panel and wall where I cannot fit a UPS. Almost perfect setup!
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
GlueGuy2

Post by GlueGuy2 »

jank wrote:I am not sure, if I am wrong but when the switch near to the Raspberry Pi is also connnected to a UPS it should not be aware of a network outage sionce the network is still connected to a workiong switch. there is a working connection between Pi and Switch so for Raspberry Pi, network is still okay.
Also if the switch is not connected to the UPS, the RaspberryPi should reconnect to the rest of the world in the moment, Network connection is available again.
I put the switch next to the pi on the UPS yesterday, and as if by serendipity, the power went out. The pi and the switch stayed online during the outage (about 15 hours), and when the network came back, it was not able to talk to the DVPII. I rebooted the pi, and all was good again. There are a bunch of these during the disconnect (looks like once per minute):

Code: Select all

2016-03-21 06:36:00.386 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2016-03-21 06:37:00.400 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2016-03-21 06:38:00.418 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2016-03-21 06:39:00.427 *** Data input appears to have stopped
2016-03-21 06:40:00.441 *** Data input appears to have stopped
My desktop is connected to the same UPS and switch, so I could watch/talk to the pi while the network was away.
bp
GlueGuy2

Post by GlueGuy2 »

WoodburyMan wrote:POE switches that both supply POE and can be powered off POE. Some of the cheaper SG300-10P Cisco switches do this, I have the same setup. I have a small 10port switch at one end of the house that's remote not near outlets and is powered by another SG300-10P that has POE at the other end of the house. Plus one into the single UPS, you're good. I have my router, cable modem, and my Pi (3.0 now!) on a CyberPower UPS, along with a NAS and Media PC in another area on another UPS. I still lose internet in a power outage however due to the fact that a small power adapter that plugs into a 10 way COAX splitter for our home COAX / Cable connection needs to be powered. It's in a very remote area behind a panel and wall where I cannot fit a UPS. Almost perfect setup!
I'm going to have to figure out something like this as well. I do have a very robust power backup for the "network" that passes through our house, but I don't have any power going back to the router & switch that are in our network hub. My router will accept POE input, but it doesn't supply POE out, nor does our switch accept POE in. So I have some engineering to do...
bp
bigmac
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Raspbian wheezy

Post by bigmac »

No scientific proof of this but I think a wifi connection may be better. Long story short, having recently moved into a new (to me) house, was having regular power outages (1-2 times several evenings a week) which I thought was due to faulty outside lights (turned out to be a faulty oven). Anyway, Pi would reboot, connection made automatically over wifi and uploads continued as normal. So, may be worth putting a USB wifi dongle on instead of using Ethernet?
GlueGuy2

Post by GlueGuy2 »

bigmac wrote:No scientific proof of this but I think a wifi connection may be better. Long story short, having recently moved into a new (to me) house, was having regular power outages (1-2 times several evenings a week) which I thought was due to faulty outside lights (turned out to be a faulty oven). Anyway, Pi would reboot, connection made automatically over wifi and uploads continued as normal. So, may be worth putting a USB wifi dongle on instead of using Ethernet?
You're right. No scientific proof. Adding the complexity of WiFi, plus providing battery backup to the WiFi would be no different than providing battery backup to anything else. Our house has structured wiring, so I have ethernet wherever I want/need it. So WiFi doesn't look like a solution to me; it looks like another problem.
bp