Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

wunderground problem?

Hardware/software/hints and tips/discussion/webcam links etc
gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

wunderground problem?

Post by gluepack »

I've been too busy to do anything about it but my webcam upload to Weather Underground has been failing for a few days. I have been using IP address 38.102.137.106 since time immemorial with only the rare problem, invariably caused by something at their end, and the image is picked up by half a dozen other webcam hosts from there.
When I edit it in WU, there is a comment "You'll need to set your camera to upload to: "webcam.wunderground.com"." Is that new? Is it the same IP address anyway? Have they changed the process?
All my camera tells me is "Cannot connect to FTP server."

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau
jpsc
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue, belfryboy USB
Operating System: Raspbian Bullseye

Re: wunderground problem?

Post by jpsc »

I use

Code: Select all

curl -u ccccccccc:pppppppppp -T /mnt/SSD/www/webcam/low-res.jpg ftp://webcam.wunderground.com
for what it's worth, set up recently from WU instruction page
John Cooper

Cumulus 3 on RPi3 with SSD

http://weather.mountpleasanthouse.uk

freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

gluepack wrote:"You'll need to set your camera to upload to: "webcam.wunderground.com"." Is that new? Is it the same IP address anyway? Have they changed the process?
webcam.wunderground.com resolves to 3 IP addresses - 54.148.11.142, 52.37.52.183, 52.36.136.128 - none of which match the one you provided. It is always safest not to use the IP address as they can (and do) change without notice.
Freddie
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Thanks freddie, the first of those IP addresses appears to work. However, I'm pretty sure that it is the first time in four years that I have had to change the IP address.

Oh and wow! (unrelated but) those nuts at hostpapa seem to have resolved my 504's again. This time without me having to bother to talk to them, so I have my website back.

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
freddie

Post by freddie »

gluepack wrote:Thanks freddie, the first of those IP addresses appears to work.
If you use the hostname then you don't need to worry about whether the IP addresses work - it will all be done automagically behind the scenes (by your DNS resolver)
Freddie
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Well, I had already tried their recommended address webcam.wunderground.com and it didn't work.

freddie

Post by freddie »

gluepack wrote:Well, I had already tried their recommended address webcam.wunderground.com and it didn't work.
That suggests a problem with the DNS resolver on your system. Is it configured to point to a DNS server somewhere? You could try pinging some hostnames that you know are up, and see if they are resolved correctly.
Freddie
gluepack

Post by gluepack »

Where is the "DNS resolver?"
My camera talks directly to wunderground (albeit through a TPLink TL-WR340G and a Micro Tik HG5 to get to my ISP).

Out of interest, if I ping webcam.wunderground.com, it shows 52.37.52.183 and the requests time out but then...
...if I ping ibm.com (129.48.32.1) the same thing and if I ping www.ibm.com (104.86.226.41) it is fine.