Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather Transmitters ?

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
frederick
Weather Station: weathereye WEA22
Operating System: XP

Weather Transmitters ?

Post by frederick »

Hi
On the Weathereye WEA 22,the original transmitter failed after 2 years.
I Replaced with new but it won't report wind or rain, as before the new replacement
was fixed wind did report on the console, I have also connected it with the old console no difference.
Just wondered if its the right transmitter, Bought it from Maplins.

WEATHEREYE WEA22. what number is recommended.

I am stuck.
Any help?
Thanking you
Fred.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Weather Transmitters ?

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Which replacement transmitter did you buy from Maplin's, since they sell more than one type?

Are you saying that the "new" transmitter does correctly report external temperature and humidy (on the Console and in Cumulus), but not rain or wind speed+direction? If so, that suggests a "simple" problem with the wind/rain cables and/or sensors.

Cheers, Alan.
frederick

Post by frederick »

Alan
I have been trying to answer your question with problems.
I can see it don't seem to get through,
So what am I doing wrong?
cheers
fred
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Normally, just clicking on "Post Reply" and then "Submit" when appropriate works fine, and seems to have worked correctly for you the last time. But if I am composing a long reply, I do usually try to remember to copy it into the clipboard (and maybe a text editor such as NotePad) before submitting, just in case the internet connection has failed (sadly this forum software doesn't take regular backups, so a lot of work can sometimes get lost).

So try again and I'll try to answer your question(s).

Cheers, Alan.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

There do seem to have been minor ongoing issues for some time now with the server the forum is hosted on (and the related SQL server) so sometimes the forum can be briefly unavailable, and posts can unfortunately fail as a result, if sent at the "wrong" time.
Steve
frederick

Post by frederick »

HI
Steve thanks
for your info.
hope this will go
Cheers, fred
frederick

Post by frederick »

Hello Alan
hope I'm in the right line now.

Parts Number

N96FY & N96GY WindDir ( new 29/4/96 and working ok)
The Transmitter was changed because no rain reports, still not working
N96FY & N96GY Transmit new 23/6/16 neither is working now.

So what I don't know
Cheers,
fred
frederick

Post by frederick »

Hello Alan
hope I'm in the right line now.

Parts Number

N96FY & N96GY WindDir ( new 29/4/96 and working ok)
The Transmitter was changed because no rain reports, still not working
N96FY & N96GY Transmit new 23/6/16 neither is working now.

So what I don't know
Cheers,
fred
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Unless it is just me it is not clear in your post which is old and which is new. However, the N96FY and the N96GY are different models, and although the peripherals e.g. the wind vane, anemometer and rain bucket are interchangeable I do not think the transmitters and consoles are, but Paul should be able to provide more information about that. It also depends how old your original unit was as Fine Offset changed the frequencies a couple of years back.
David
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

AFAIK, the present N95FY/N95GY are compatible with each other, the only difference is the colour, "Black" or "Silver". The problem is that any "Maplin" station sold more than about 3 years ago (even if it was called N95FY) is NOT compatible with the present stations, nor the "replacement" transmitters now being sold. The problem is not the radio frequency (they are all 433 MHz) but the frequency/protocol (FSK/OOK) used for the data. So an "old" Console cannot "understand" what a new transmitter is sending.

However, I wouldn't have expected a loss of just the rain data to be due to a faulty transmitter. Except for the case of a "bad contact" in the connector or moisture in the cable/connector (which might be possible to fix). So a replacement Rain sensor might have been a better choice and these are compatible between "old" and "new" stations. The test I always recommend, is to exchange the Rain and Wind cables where they plug into the transmitter and see if the "fault" moves between Rain and Wind data (activating the sensors by rocking/spinning).

But, like Water01, I'm not clear when the "old" station was sold, or which combinations of "old" and "new" are or are not now working.

Cheers, Alan.
frederick

Post by frederick »

Hello
Alan/water01
I do see I put in the wrong date on the WindDir it was 29/4/2016
not 29/4/96, sorry about that!
Any way the new station WEA 22 was bought from Amazons 12/14 months back. the regional was very good in fact perfect. against this one I have now.

The part numbers N96FY & N96GY WindDir

Transmitter part N96FY & N96GY

Cheers,
fred
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Unfortunately, the Amazon WEA22 listing doesn't appear to specify if the radio frequency is 433 or 868 MHz. However, it may well be written on the battery cover of the Console.

AFAIK all the Maplin transmitters are 433 MHz, despite some "Answers" on their website (under the "Questions" Tab for the replacement transmitter). IMHO most of those answers are misleading or even totally wrong. Also, the "Review" is factually correct, but hardly anybody seems to believe the author! :(

However, I'm still not clear what was wrong with the original WEA22 station. Which of the following data did (or did not) show correctly on the Console (and in Cumulus)? :

External Temperature,
External Humidity,
Wind Speed/Gust,
Wind Direction,
Rain.

Were any replaced by dashes "--" on the Console?

Cheers, Alan.
frederick

Post by frederick »

Hi Alan
I have the (original console that is in a different room
not connected to PC as the newish one is,
all works well when up and running.
The numbers on the
back of both of the battery covers are the same.
Freq: 868.3 MHz
Model:WEA22
Power: 3x 1 . 5V AA battery

on the screens both of them reads the same.
empty "--"
External Temperature,
External Humidity,
Wind Speed/Gust,
Wind Direction, (new)
Rain.
I may be wrong, I feel this (new Transmitter) should be sent back.
Question is: that is it the correct model or number, Transmitter part N96FY & N96GY
for WEA22
Cheers,
fred
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

But as Alan said all the Maplins transmitters transmit at 433Mhz, which neither of your consoles will receive as they are both rated 868.3Mhz. You have to either find a 868.3 Mhz transmitter or get the correct Console to receive a 433Mhz signal, otherwise you have no chance.
David
AllyCat

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes, As Far As I Know, Maplin do not sell a spare transmitter for your station, (which seems to be confirmed by your tests) so I think it needs to be returned.

Clas Ohlson did sell spares for their 868 MHz station, but I believe only on special order directly from one of their (few) shops in the UK, and there is still the potential problem of the changed wireless protocol.

The only 868 MHz spare transmitter that I can find is from Waters and Stanton for their "Watson 8681" station, but the transmitter appears to be out of stock, at the moment. There are also the complications of "Mk1", "Mk2" and "Solar" versions, and some are priced above £30 (plus postage ?) which seems too high when the equivalent complete stations sometimes can be bought for not much more than £50.

So I suggest that you contact Waters and Stanton and see what (if anything) they can offer. As they primarily sell radio equipment, you should at least get much more intelligent and accurate answers than from Maplin. But do make sure the transmitter can be returned if it doesn't work !

Cheers, Alan.