Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Steve Weather Station

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

richard_newberry
Weather Station: Watson W-8186
Operating System: Raspbian Bookworm & Debian 12

Steve Weather Station

Post by richard_newberry »

Really sad to see steves weather station go. Any donations so steve is able to get another weather station.
Desford Weather (at parents)
https://desford-weather.co.uk

Countesthorpe Weather (at mine)
https://countesthorpe-weather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Steve Weather Station

Post by steve »

Thanks, but I don't need a new weather station. Please see other posts, including the announcement, where I have explained the situation. I was going to be closing down anyway in a few weeks.
Steve
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

steve wrote:Thanks, but I don't need a new weather station. Please see other posts, including the announcement, where I have explained the situation. I was going to be closing down anyway in a few weeks.
Steve, good luck with your future. i know its hard to "move on" just one thing, is the forums still going to be up and running? or are they going too?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Hunter362
Weather Station: Ambient Weather WS-2080
Operating System: Ubuntu 14.4

Post by Hunter362 »

Steve that sounds like an awesome way to spend your retirement! You definitely have the right idea, do it now why your young and have the ambition to do it! Good luck on whatever endeavor you and your family embark on!

Bill
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Toxic17 wrote: just one thing, is the forums still going to be up and running? or are they going too?
The plan is to keep everything going just as it is now, with the exception of my weather station. I'm going to be moving the forum to a different server shortly, so there will be a short break in service while I do that.
Steve
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Steve,

Very surprised to read your announcement. But you've clearly thought things through and are doing the best thing for you both.

I hope everything goes well for you. Fortunately my website and Cumulus v1 are very reliable and I rarely need any help. I have a reminder set when my subs are due and hope this side of your service will continue.

It will be sad to see Sanday weather go off-line. Your readings are amongst the more 'interesting' ones! ;)

My very best for a smooth transition to retirement. I took the plunge 3 years ago and am loving it.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:I have a reminder set when my subs are due and hope this side of your service will continue.
I'll be needing to move the hosted websites to a different server too. I'll be in touch shortly about that.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Okay Steve, thanks. Hopefully the new site will be equally reliable.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It should be, it's a dedicated server with a good CPU and lots of RAM, rather than a virtual private server, and it has a good connection to the internet. The one thing is doesn't have compared to the old server is SSD drives. But the hard drives are 'enterprise class', and much bigger than the SSD drives, so I can offer more space per user, and also more bandwidth per month, as it doesn't have the same transfer limits as the old server. The reason for the change is that I need to consolidate everything onto the one server (including this forum) and the VPS isn't suitable for that. I've had a few complaints in the past from the VPS providers about over-using resources on the server. The dedicated server will remove that issue.

http://sanday.org.uk/weather has been running on the new server for a while now, but of course I'm no longer uploading.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks for the info Steve. Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Having problems with BT not allowing through some emails. Sandaysoft seems to be affected too now. :(
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Post by Buford T. Justice »

Enjoy your retirement Steve :clap:
tumutbound
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Linux, Raspberry Pi (Wheezy)

Post by tumutbound »

Retiring while you're young enough to enjoy it is a great idea.
I certainly don't regret doing it.
Enjoy the 'RVing'

Regards
Geoff
My weather
CumulusMX (3036)
Raspberry Pi: Wheezy
FineOffset WH1081
Grimers
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Post by Grimers »

Any chance you'll get some photos of yourself and family in your retirement whilst enjoying the scenery, Steve? :)
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

I "retired" somewhat early (age 59) and have no regrets at all. I still have done some consulting work off and on, which is the reason I put it in quotes. I figured the early years of retirement when you are still able to do a few things like travel are the most valuable and ones you can never get back.

I wish you all the best with yours.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Grimers wrote:Any chance you'll get some photos of yourself and family in your retirement whilst enjoying the scenery, Steve? :)
The family is just Mrs L, one dog, and myself, these days. Mrs L is blogging our adventures here - http://twosnails.uk/index.php?/

Personally, I find the blog a bit odd to navigate, everything is out of sequence. You can skip all the wordy bits and just look at the pretty pictures using the menu at the top.
Steve