Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

"Blocky" graphs - how to smooth?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

scanman
Weather Station: Davis VP2

"Blocky" graphs - how to smooth?

Post by scanman »

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I was wondering whether anybody can explain in very simple terms, how I can obtain graphs which are less blocky? Using the default settings, my pressure chart in particular looks very blocky as compared to, say, my average wind speed chart. (see http://www.new.avochweather.info/trends.htm)

Any help from a coding guru would be gratefully appreciated!
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: "Blocky" graphs - how to smooth?

Post by freddie »

Looking at your pressure graph, there is a data point for each minute. However, the data values only change every fifteen minutes. This isn't true for your temperature graph, though, which changes every minute at times. Is it possible that your pressure sensor reading is only updated every fifteen minutes on your weather station?
Freddie
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

It can depend on what station you're using. Some only update every 15 minutes. I believe the Davis VP2 newer revisions do so every minute (or even more frequent) so obviously those with longer intervals will look blocky.
scanman

Post by scanman »

Thanks, guys. I do indeed have a VP2 and, looking at my data, it does indeed appear the pressure is only being refreshed at 15min intervals. I have Cumulus MX set up to over-ride the Davis 15minute default to force an update every minute, but this does not appear to be working. Might this be a Cumulus/VP2 issue? The forced update certainly seemed to work ok with older versions of Cumulus.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It's possible that I didn't implement the forced update in MX, it's my understanding that the VP2 firmware made this redundant a very long time ago. Are you using a very old firmware?

I'll check the code when I switch my laptop on later to see if that code is in there. I strongly suspect that it isn't, as it would require interfering with the normal Loop packet reception to force the update, and I don't remember doing that.
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Thanks Steve. I think my firmware IS old (2005), but am a bit unsure as to how to update it. I will look into this in a bit more detail, as the blocky graphs look horrid. I will let you know how I get on, but thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.
scanman

Post by scanman »

hmmm.....looks like updating the firmware is easier said than done. Oh well........ :roll:
scanman

Post by scanman »

I seem to have rwo issues with updating the firmware - firstly, despite the computer running ok, when I try to find my console with the Davis software, it says it cannot be found! Secondly, reading around the matter, I fear updating my firmware may render the data logger inoperable. It seems, then, I am stuck with the firmware at present and will therefore be stuck with 15minute pressure updates, unless somehow the feature can be enabled within Cumulus MX?
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

Depends on how early. I have firmware rev 1.90 and mine seems to update fairly frequently. My graphs mete that out.
2016-09-28_162606.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scanman

Post by scanman »

My firmware is old (dated 27/05/05) and, reading on various forums, it looks as though I may have some difficulty in updating it. I have contacted Davis support for information, but also wonder whether - please, please, please - reinstating the forced update feature in Cumulus might be considered at a later date!!!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'll consider it for a future update, but I don't know when that is likely to be. I'll have to have a look at the code to see how I might restructure it to get it to do the forced update.

I believe John Dann (prodata on the forum) offers a loan service for an updater for those with firmware too old to use the direct PC updater.
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Thanks, Steve. I now have a bit of a dilemma as to whether to stick with MX and put up with the blocky graphs, or roll back to older versions of cumulus. Thinking aloud, so to speak, is it possible to use an older versions of cumulus but still have it update the highcharts? That might be a bit beyond my abilities, though...

"First world problems!" :D
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mark produced the Highcharts graphs for Cumulus 1 originally, I just stole them and modified them very slightly for MX. If you search for Highcharts in the wiki and forum, there should be what you need to set it up.
Steve
scanman

Post by scanman »

Cheers, Steve. On reflection, I will put up with the blocky graphs for now. The MX interface is just too good to lose!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've implemented the forced updating of the barometer in build 3042, which I've just uploaded.
Steve