Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Got Wind direction but no wind speed

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
alanmale
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1081
Operating System: Windows10

Got Wind direction but no wind speed

Post by alanmale »

Hi Folks,
The last couple of days I notice I do not receive wind speed data on my WH1081.
I get all other data (wind direction, temp, rain etc)
I just changed the batteries and reset the connectors in the transmitter but still the same.
Any ideas?
Cheers....
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Got Wind direction but no wind speed

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Have you checked if the anemometer is rotating?

If not, the solution should be obvious. If it is, then there couald be a fault anywhere in the cable or in the anemometer or in the transmitter. If you have a multimeter then testing should be fairly easy, otherwise the (magnetic reed in) the anemometer is the most likely fault, or a seized bearing, and either can be replaced for around £1. But with replacement anemometers available from Maplin for £2.50, it's not normally worth bothering.

Cheers, Alan.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Alan (AllyCat) has given you a full answer, but see also his viewtopic.php?f=13&Amp;t=13046&Amp;p=102176 about how the bearing is better protected in newer models.

My WH1081 was bought in 2010, I bought a replacement anemometer online in 2014 (Maplin item code N76NF), but the reed failed after 2 years and so I replaced that (I found it a bit tricky) with a Assemtech Micro Reed Switch N/O (Code: CL37S) from a Maplin store. Stevenage have it in stock for £2.29, but as Alan suggests you could probably find a cheaper source, perhaps a different make.

There are 3 compatible replacement anemometers (EDIT 2 - ignore their conflicting answers suggesting each is compatible with only 1 model) each available at £2.49 to be ordered in Maplin for 3 day delivery:
  • (Code: N76NF) with a long wire intended for those models where it needs to plug directly into transmitter and grey cups. Your current anemometer will plug into wind vane. If you put this in place of your old one you will end up with lots of wire that has to be put somewhere, or (like me) you could move the anemometer higher up away from the vane.
  • (code: N82NF) with a short wire and white cups for mounting on your existing wind sensor arm
  • (code: N09QR) with a short wire and grey cups for mounting on your existing wind sensor arm (Darker coloured cups absorb more sun and are less likely to freeze).
EDIT 1: The e-bay version of Maplin (maplin_outlet) are also selling these versions of anemometer at same price (long wire - Wind Speed Sensor For Use With Wireless Weather Station N25FR; short wire - either Replacement Wind Speed Sensor White For Use With Silver Weather Station N96FY or Replacement Wind Speed Sensor Grey For Use With Black Weather Station N96GY).
Last edited by sfws on Sat 25 Feb 2017 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
alanmale

Post by alanmale »

Thanks for the replies.
I think a visit to Maplin is in order.
Cheer, Alan
alanmale

Post by alanmale »

A new anemometer from Maplin did the trick.
Thanks for your guidance guys.
Cheers, Alan