Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX on MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra - Crash Report

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

swirlingair
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.12

MX on MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra - Crash Report

Post by swirlingair »

Hi,

CumulusMX 3.0.0 Build 3043 is crashing quite frequently on my iMac. MDdiags.zip is attached.

Thanks,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: MX on MacOS 10.12.4 Sierra - Crash Report

Post by steve »

You have a problem with the TCP/IP connection to the logger, it keeps being closed down. MX has no code in it to recover from this.

One possibe cause of the connection being closed is when the logger wants to do something else network related, e.g. upload to weatherlink.com. You've set a periodic disconnect time of 2 seconds, so presumably you are uploading to weatherlink.com - it could well be that 2 seconds isn't long enough to allow the upload. The fact that the exceptions occur 4, 5 or 6 seconds after the minute backs that up.
Steve
swirlingair

Post by swirlingair »

Thank you very much for your quick and helpful reply.

I am indeed uploading to weatherlink.com.

I've now set the disconnect time to 30 sec and will see how that goes; 10 sec didn't work, although MX stayed up for longer than it did yesterday. So far (after about 15 mins - far longer than MX stayed up yesterday), all is well, and the setting doesn't seem to have affected the reliability of my upload to weatherlink.

If this doesn't work, can I safely try increasing it further? Is there a better solution I could try?

For a number of months, I've been using Cumulus without any problem at all on Windows 10 in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine; however, I would now like to run a Linux VM instead of Windows, hence my reason for trying MX.

Thank you again for your help.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

30 seconds is rather long. It means that MX isn't getting any data for 50% of the time. The best solution would be to turn off uploads to weatherlink.com!

A future build of MX may include code to retry logger connections, so that would allow a smaller value for the disconnect period - MX would just keep trying to connect until the logger has finished the upload (which is apparently what the Davis DLL used by Cumulus 1 does).
Steve
swirlingair

Post by swirlingair »

Afraid 30 sec hasn't worked either, although MX did run for over an hour this time!

I would be prepared to do this; the other things MX does for me are far more important. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the safest way of killing uploads to weatherlink without affecting anything else? What changes should I then make to MX?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I believe you turn off uploads to weatherlink.com using the logger's browser interface. You then just need to set the periodic disconnect interval in MX to zero.
Steve
swirlingair

Post by swirlingair »

Thank you; I'll have a look although, having the Davis WeatherlinkIP hardware, I'm not sure that I can.

I've found another possible cause of my problem: it appears that I had set both Weatherlink *and* Cumulus to upload data to Weather Underground; could this have caused the port to get closed? In any case, I've stopped Weatherlink from doing that. In fact, I've stopped Weatherlink from doing *all* uploads to any other site and set MX to do it instead. I'll now try reducing the disconnect time to a lower figure (10 sec) and see what happens.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

swirlingair wrote:Thank you; I'll have a look although, having the Davis WeatherlinkIP hardware, I'm not sure that I can.
Yes, you do it using the WeatherlinkIP browser interface (I can't remember the details, it may just involve putting the address of your WeatherlinkIP into your browser - I can't remember whether it uses the standard http port (80)).
I've found another possible cause of my problem: it appears that I had set both Weatherlink *and* Cumulus to upload data to Weather Underground; could this have caused the port to get closed?
No, because the way that works (as I understand it) is that the weatherlink.com site does the upload to Weather Underground, your logger still just uploads to weatherlink.com. It is possible, I suppose, that having uploads to WU set may make the upload to weatherlink.com take longer, but I don't know enough about the mechanism.
Steve
swirlingair

Post by swirlingair »

Thank you once again for your extensive help; I'm extremely grateful.

I've now discontinued uploads to Weatherlink and set the disconnect period to 0, so I'll see how that goes; so far, so good :)

Update at 20:05 BST : Cumulus MX still running perfectly.

Final update 18-Apr-2017 16:22 : Cumulus still running perfectly after 25 hrs. I'm very happy with its performance and facilities and, once again, I'm extremely grateful for your help.