Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Which Linux flavors are most successful so far?

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

fury88
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2 (fw 1.7.3)
Operating System: Linux Mint 18.1 x64

Which Linux flavors are most successful so far?

Post by fury88 »

Hi all,

I've been running Cumulus 1 for 10 years now and about every two years the machine I have bites the dust. I ressurect an old machine/laptop and re-install everything. This time I have an old Inspiron 6400, which ironically, I had Windows 10 64-bit running GREAT the past year but a recent power failure hosed it up and I can't reinstall it no matter how hard I try. I'm finally saying screw it and going to just put linux on there now that Cumulus MX is graciously being developed!

So thats the back story... LOL

That being said, I'd like to get some opinions on which Linux flavors have been most successful so far with Cumulus and which ones are being tested on. Typically I'll do an Ubuntu install but it doesn't matter to me. I'll just use Unetbootin and off we go!

Thanks for the input all.

-Matt in NC, USA.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Which Linux flavors are most successful so far?

Post by ConligWX »

I'm running Debian Jessie here on an Intel NUC. Before I used CumulusMX, I was running Weewx on the same Box. Debian has been really stable.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

fury88
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2 (fw 1.7.3)
Operating System: Linux Mint 18.1 x64

Post by fury88 »

Nice. Ok I went with Mint Linux and so far it seems to be working really well. Not much to it so I would expect it's pretty stable across the board. Way nicer than dealing with all the Windows crap.
philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Post by philpugh »

I'm running Debian Wheezy on BananaPi Pro (for the SATA SSD support). Not bothered to move it to Jessie as it works well and I am not planning on extending the functionality that much. I have had CumulusMX on Debian Jessie on RaspberryPi 2 for my now defunct Fine Offset system.
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

I am running CumulusMX on a Raspberry Pi 2 with SDCard only
It is absolutely stable since more then 1 year now. Looking for the current uptime
System Uptime of RasberryPi(cumulus) is: 73 days 23 hours 22 minutes

Linux OS Version: "Raspbian GNU/Linux" - DEBIAN - 8 (JESSIE) - 4.1.19-v7+
The most important reason for a RaspberryPi or BananaPi is the low power usage and the price.....and you can place this small peace of hardware wherever there is a plug available......A RaspberryPi3 has the advantage of a build in wireless adapter.....so no worries about the network connection anymore.
So Thumbs up for a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian OS (Which is a Debian).
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907
NeilThomas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 4

Post by NeilThomas »

Hi

I have recently moved over to a Raspberry Pi 3 from a Windows system and have been very impressed. It works reliably and is easy to configure to do extra work if required. Pugged it directly into a plug with a USB outlet and it works.

I have even used an old webcam to upload images - far more control over the image than ever available in Windows. I'm so impressed I am taking the Windows 10 system back and setting up a second station on another Pi.
Neil Thomas
website: weather.oaktreewebs.co.uk | Davis Vantage Pro II | CumulusMX, Raspberry Pi 4 | MX V4 build 4010