Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Mx Stopping

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

N0BGS
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Win10vm,VMWare ESXi 7.0

Re: Mx Stopping

Post by N0BGS »

Bob:

Recommend you read this page:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebn ... ers-guide/

and download the .NET setup verification tool. Run it from an administrative command prompt using the command line:

Code: Select all

netfx_setupverifier.exe /q:a

That command line will check only the .NET versions that are installed on your computer.

Run the program then select each version of .NET that the tool finds installed and click the "verify now" button. Doing so will confirm that each of your .NET instances are properly installed.

If the tool does find any errors then as the article says download the .NET Framework Repair Tool and run it.

If you do all of the above and CMX still crashes I would try temporarily disabling Kaspersky using the services applet then run CMX again for a few hours.

Let me know how it goes.

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I don't think those errors are related to the communication being lost. They look related to the incomplete installation of Cumulus.
Steve
KD7YZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Win 10-Pro 64bit

Post by KD7YZ »

Yes, did crash.

two things don't make sense to me.

before I mentioned this, MX had been running a couple days.

and secondly, Cumulus-Original is now running a couple days after the fact of CMX beginning it's crash series. Why?

Let's go back to the port-forwarding of 8998,8002,22222 .. is any of that needed for a situation where the Davis VP2 is connected to back end of ASUS Router .... vis-a-vis MX OR Cumulus-Orig trying to get thru to the Davis ?

The other day when I'd initially started this port forward stuff and then discovered that MX would not crash for may days and NO restarts of the O/S, I decided to can Cumulus-Original for a permanent CMX. This worked a few hours then you know the rest.

Has anything I could have done in the router exacerbated the CMX problem?

I'll go into the ASUS right now and clean out all port forwarding settings.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

KD7YZ wrote:and secondly, Cumulus-Original is now running a couple days after the fact of CMX beginning it's crash series. Why?
Assuming you mean the crash as in the orginal post in this thread, i.e caused by the communication with the logger being lost, rather than the other (spurious) crashes caused by an incomplete installation of Cumulus, then the reason is as I posted earlier - the Davis DLL used by Cumulus 1 for communication with the logger apparently automatically reconnects; MX does not, so when it then tries to use the connection, an exception occurs.
Let's go back to the port-forwarding of 8998,8002,22222 .. is any of that needed for a situation where the Davis VP2 is connected to back end of ASUS Router .... vis-a-vis MX OR Cumulus-Orig trying to get thru to the Davis ?
No.
Has anything I could have done in the router exacerbated the CMX problem?
Possibly, but it's hard to say for certain as the reason for the connection to the logger being disconnected is unknown. Possibly the logger is disconnecting, possibly the router.

Does your logger upload to weatherlink.com?
Steve
KD7YZ

Post by KD7YZ »

steve wrote: Does your logger upload to weatherlink.com?
Yes
KD7YZ

Post by KD7YZ »

Do you guys have your Davis VP2 connected directly to the router? Or connected to your computer?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

KD7YZ wrote:
steve wrote: Does your logger upload to weatherlink.com?
Yes
Then this is almost certainly your problem. The design of the logger only allows one TCP/IP connection at a time, hence the 'peridioc disconnect interval' setting in MX, to allow uploads to weatherlink.com. Despite this, it appears that the logger can accept a new connection (at some level) but then disconnect it again immmediately.

I'm assuming you have a 'periodic disconnect' set in Cumulus to allow the upload to take place; it's also important to have the console clock and the PC clock synchronised as closely as possible (using the setting in Cumulus). You can try increasing the period, but not by too much as then MX will be missing a lot of data.

You could turn off uploads to weatherlink.com to confirm that's the cause of the problem.
Steve
KD7YZ

Post by KD7YZ »

steve wrote: You could turn off uploads to weatherlink.com to confirm that's the cause of the problem.
Clif-Notes: So far since yesterday, no crashes with that turned off.

I wondered about that yesterday afternoon. So I turned it off using the 'vantagepro" program from them .
Since I was uncertain "If" that was the problem, I also wondered if all the radio controlling/decoding/logging/reporting/charting programs here might have a line that occasionally, albeit regularly, clashed with architecture.

So this morning I see that no crashes have occurred. I see reporting to Wunderground still going on.

System Clock is set with Meinberg NTP server here; radios and Davis are all in sync, and have been a few years.

Reading your comments then I verified weatherlink logging was already unchecked. Then I began the SDR-Console-V3 program; the CWSkimmer(1.91)/Aggregator(4.4) program and WSJTx(MSK144) decoding/reporting program.

N0BGS, if you'd tell me how you run / upload to Davis WeatherLink ... OR if you even do, I'd appreciate it.
Also, are you running any near-full-time scan/decodes stuff like I am doing? I have CWSkimmer going as much as possible 24/7 now that 6m Es Season is at hand. MSK144 search/can/decode/report on 50,280 is full-time too.

Thanks for the help guys.
N0BGS

Post by N0BGS »

N0BGS, if you'd tell me how you run / upload to Davis WeatherLink ... OR if you even do, I'd appreciate it.
Also, are you running any near-full-time scan/decodes stuff like I am doing? I have CWSkimmer going as much as possible 24/7 now that 6m Es Season is at hand. MSK144 search/can/decode/report on 50,280 is full-time too.
I don't upload to WeatherLink. My weather "server" is a Windows 7 VM that communicates with the Davis console via the CP210x USB to UART bridge. AKA a serial to USB convertor. It is never shutdown except for updates or power outages. I upload my WX data to another local Linux web server VM, WU nearly realtime, and CWOP.

Additionally, I run an ADS-B site on that same weather server computer using Virtual Radar Server,modeSdeco2 & modeSmixer. I upload aircraft position data to FR24.com and receive data from a second remotely sited ADS-B receiver as well.

So, a fair amount of TCP/IP data going back and forth at all times but rarely a problem with CMX.

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
KD7YZ

Post by KD7YZ »

Most impressive!! You're a top-end weather hub indeed.

Well then, I never look at the davis site anyway. Just checkmarked that box a long time ago with no real understanding why I was doing it. I'll leave it unchecked and march on.

I've been running all the radio stuff for hours today and CMX has not blinked.

what do u use for rain collector? I'm not terribly happy with the Davis as compared to the NOAA "Can" I measure every day. Just not always within .1 of an inch and other times spot on.
N0BGS

Post by N0BGS »

I've never used anything but the VP2 rain collector. It seems reasonably accurate as long as I keep it clean and free of pollen, seeds, catkins and spiders. :roll: Honestly, I have no basis for my claim of accuracy since I have nothing local to compare it to. I have gotten some absolutely crazy rain rate readings in winter when the collector is plugged with ice and snow which then suddenly melts releasing a torrent of water. I try to take those out of the database when it happens but at the moment there are at least two entries I need to edit out. Generally speaking I've been pretty happy with the VP2. I've been running it for 5 years now with very few issues.

--Kurt
Blitzortung Station 1809
KD7YZ

Post by KD7YZ »

N0BGS wrote:..... I try to take those out of the database when it happens but at the moment there are at least two entries I need to edit out.

--Kurt
Please explain

how I delete two of the rain data days? I have two where I see my NOAA Data-Book shows zero rain and I absolutely believ what I wrote down ...15 inches and 5 inches roughly ... 5 to 14 days ago ... so what is the procedure in MX to do that??

Also ... been running without stoppage nor computer reboot since I mentioned in this thread I'd test not having data sent to Davisnet. So that solved the thread subject's problem.

now how to edit ??

tnx es _.. . KD7YZ