Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Huge MXDiags file

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

t951
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7, 8 and Ubuntu 15.04

Huge MXDiags file

Post by t951 »

My PC gave me a running out of space error. Some research found that my Diags folder held the file causing the issue. It is too big to open...any ideas?
cumulus.PNG
cumulus2.PNG
I don't know if the file stopped at 31.9Gb due to HDD space, or some other limitation.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
t
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Huge MXDiags file

Post by steve »

As that's an old file, you could just delete it, unless anyone has any suggestions for viewing it. Note that as it's an old file, it wouldn't have been increasing in size, so it's not clear how it could have been the cause of you running low on disk space at this time.

There is an issue with the latest build as I made uploading of the realtimegauges file a default operation without checking whether ftp is enabled. If you are not uploading to your own website, this will cause lots of error messages to be logged, perhaps this is the cause. If so, you should turn it off in your internet settings.
Steve
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

in linux you could split the file into more readable sizes. it is large to say the least, do you have debugging enabled?
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Toxic17 wrote:in linux you could split the file into more readable sizes. it is large to say the least, do you have debugging enabled?
in linux you could also use vim (vi) it works fine for me with large files and you can easily skip lines

but as far as the size had to be an issue like Steve said or maybe connection issues but as long all is working good now delete it.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Personally I wouldn't delete a file that big without understanding what was going on with the system. Just guessing what the issue was doesn't fix it, or even allow you to understand what went wrong in the first place.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

t951
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7, 8 and Ubuntu 15.04

Post by t951 »

Sorry for the slow response....Just got back our power from Irma!

I am going to move it out of the directory and see if anything breaks. If not, I will delete it.

I don't think this will be a system related issue, more of an app related, but I could be wrong. It doesn't seem to be used by the program anymore, so I will most likely just delete it. My concern was it happening again and not understanding the root cause.

Thanks everyone.

t.