Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

use CumulusMX dashboard interface as webpage online

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

novy
Weather Station: davis vantage vue
Operating System: Windows 7 / RASPBIAN

use CumulusMX dashboard interface as webpage online

Post by novy »

Hi

I have cumulus mx running on rasperry pi 3b perfect . local webpage is set up running but can i use this local webpage as my website ?
I have bought my domain name and would like to run a website using the cumulus local page as my website is this possible and how do i go about setting this up on rasperry pi ?

any help much appreciated.
Last edited by novy on Tue 19 Sep 2017 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: setting up cumulus mx for website

Post by steve »

It's possible, but it comes with risks, as it exposes your settings screens as well as your data. It's probably possible to prevent access to those with firewall rules, but you will have to get it right. Someone may be able to tell you what you need to do, I have seen at least one site done that way.
Steve
novy

Post by novy »

ok thanks yes i understand this for the setting. ive edited the local webpage to not show the settings tabs anymore for this reason . although someone could possibly access if they knew the setting address for them pages. or yes i could possibly block these via firewall somehow .

ive installed Apache on my rasperry pie but thats as far as ive got not really sure what to do next still learning .

Thanks again will wait to see if anyone can advise further
Herbaldew
Weather Station: VP2+
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit)

Post by Herbaldew »

novy wrote:ok thanks yes i understand this for the setting. ive edited the local webpage to not show the settings tabs anymore for this reason . although someone could possibly access if they knew the setting address for them pages.
I pondered doing this myself and along with taking the steps you mention, I deleted the actual "varioussettings".html so they couldn't be accessed even if someone new their respective name. The plan was that if I ever need to use them I would just copy them back long enough to do what was needed.

I ended up using this setup for in-house use only and keep it blocked from the outside.

I leave my rPi running my customized gauges page in full screen in Chromium. When I am away from home I connect using the VNC App and the VNC Server included in rPi3. Additionally, my rPi is next to my TV, so a quick change of the source on my TV remote shows it on the wide screen. You can send mouse controls with the app and I have a wireless mouse on the table where my remote sits, so I can navigate from the gauges page to wherever I want.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Deleting the settings pages doesn't stop someone accessing your settings by calling the settings API directly.
Steve
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

steve wrote:Deleting the settings pages doesn't stop someone accessing your settings by calling the settings API directly.
Very true. I think the only way around this is to proxy the calls to the API - Apache is very easy to set up to do this. On my site (I use the standard Cumulus site, not the interface) I proxy calls for the graph data back to MX rather than uploading the JSON files every minute. It dramatically cuts down the data upload volume to my site. It is ever so slightly slower than doing it the "normal" way, but only by half a second or so for the graphs with the most data (temperature and wind direction). It would be trivial (but more complex than my setup) to implement this method.
Freddie
novy

Post by novy »

Managed to get it working proper way now but not all working .
the way i done it before i had port 8888 on apache and opened port 8002 and data started flowing. but now running of port 99 on apache forwarding port 8002 does nothing

copied the cumulusmx folder contents on my pi to a new folder on my pi called webfolder
set up cumulus ftp setting to upload the files to the webfolder i just created
pointed apache2 to the webfolder
set the apache2 listen port to 99 as port 80 will not work or forward
open/forward port 99 on my router to my raspberry pi ip address
on 123-reg.co.uk i setup web forwarding to my public ip http://##.##.###:99/index.html

my site is working although not all data is being displayed on some parts of the site am i right in thinking no one can access the setting pages now ? opening port 8002 does nothing now .
Last edited by novy on Mon 18 Sep 2017 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Re: Using CumulusMX localhost webpage as website online

Post by odintheterrible »

Greetings,
I have switched to the MX version of Cumulus after changing my weather station earlier this year and I find the current dials presentation in the Dashboard to be somewhat less visually appealing compared to the 'home' web page which was generated by the old version of Cumulus. Additionally, as referred to earlier in this thread, the current dashboard will give anyone viewing it complete access to the 'settings' sections of Cumulus MX, with all the problems that this will cause.
After a bit of experimentation with reference to the way the MX program displays it's data I've concluded that it is possible to combine the best of both worlds ... the MX functionality along with the visual presentation of the old Cumulus WITHOUT exposing the settings to any Tom, Dick or Harry (or anyone else, come to that LOL) who may care to browse the page.
As soon as I've completed the work on the web pages I'll post a link to the new setup and upload the files to my server and anyone interested can download them for their own use/modification.

As a side note, again referring to earlier posts in this thread, you DO need to open port 8002 as well as 8998 in order to access the current MX web page from external sources .... this is something that is missing in the support info for MX.
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
novy

Post by novy »

odintheterrible wrote:Greetings,
I have switched to the MX version of Cumulus after changing my weather station earlier this year and I find the current dials presentation in the Dashboard to be somewhat less visually appealing compared to the 'home' web page which was generated by the old version of Cumulus. Additionally, as referred to earlier in this thread, the current dashboard will give anyone viewing it complete access to the 'settings' sections of Cumulus MX, with all the problems that this will cause.
After a bit of experimentation with reference to the way the MX program displays it's data I've concluded that it is possible to combine the best of both worlds ... the MX functionality along with the visual presentation of the old Cumulus WITHOUT exposing the settings to any Tom, Dick or Harry (or anyone else, come to that LOL) who may care to browse the page.
As soon as I've completed the work on the web pages I'll post a link to the new setup and upload the files to my server and anyone interested can download them for their own use/modification.

As a side note, again referring to earlier posts in this thread, you DO need to open port 8002 as well as 8998 in order to access the current MX web page from external sources .... this is something that is missing in the support info for MX.
Last edited by novy on Sun 17 Sep 2017 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

odintheterrible wrote:Greetings,

The "Dashboard" was never intended to be an externally viewable web page, it is a replacement for the old application window on the Windows version. I.e. so you can see locally that the program is running ok, change the settings, and a quick look at the values.

CMX does come with default web pages which are similar to the old version, these are what are intended for public consumption.