Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vantage Vue Is Goosed! Probably.

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Turvey
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Win 7

Vantage Vue Is Goosed! Probably.

Post by Turvey »

Looks like my Vantage Vue has reached/is reaching the end of it's economical working life! Wind direction has been static for the last year or so and recently the weed speed has mostly been showing as zero with occasional bursts of showing some movement.

I've taken the Vue inside and taken it apart, the direction part of it is just spinning on the shaft so needs a new one (£20) or fixed (hot glue/superglue it to the shaft?)but I can't find anything obvious wrong with the speed part of it. The shaft turns freely and the magnet spins with it, so I could try a new windspeed cartridge (£21) but with no guarantee that it will fix it. I don't think it's the Temp/Humidity/Wind Speed PCB because the outside temp etc seems to be working correctly and at £40 for a new one it would be an expensive trial and error experiment.

The console also has a couple of part lines of text missing which whilst not that important is kinda annoying as it's the only section which isn't replicated in Cumulus.

So I've got to make a decision, spend 40-90 quid on it with no guarantee it will work or sell it for spares or repair or sell the working bits on eBay?

Comments, suggestions etc would be welcome.

Cheers, Kevin.
CorkHarbourWx
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Vantage Vue Is Goosed! Probably.

Post by CorkHarbourWx »

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for your trouble. I have to ask; how old is it? The Vantage Vue's aren't around that long - are they? I've a reputation for regularly thinking "ah sher it's only been a few years" when in fact it's been a decade or more ;) I've a Davis Vantage Pro 2 that's going since 2005 (12 years) albeit with a few spares purchased and repair jobs done along the way (wind sensor replaced due corrosion and a bird strike that finished it off, and I've done repairs on super caps in all the ISS / repeater units). Until you asked your question, I'd always have assumed "spares and repairs" but perhaps the VV is a different kind of animal to the VP2..?

BR
Cormac
[Cork Harbour / UTC+1] NNNN++++
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Hi there, according to the code on the back of the console it was manufactured in 2010 so it's had a good innings especially with the battering it can get up here!

It's kinda annoying that it's only the wind side of it that doesn't seem to be working as it's that part of it that is more interesting to me.

Thinking about it more, maybe the PCB is the problem as the cups are spinning freely with the magnet turning as well. I don't suppose anyone has a spare one lying about that I could test it with? Or anywhere I could send my one for someone to test?

If I could get a definitive answer I would be more inclined to proceed with replacement parts but I realise that it is near impossible for anyone to diagnose the fault without having it their possession.

I'm thinking I'll maybe try and flog it on eBay as a spares or repair project, selling the data logger separately, and maybe invest in a slightly cheaper station with fewer bells and whistles.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I don't know anything about the construction of the Vue, but I believe the wind speed sensor is a simple magnetic reed switch (inside the "cartridge" ? ). As an intrinsically mechanical switch, it's possible that after 7 years in Orkney wind speeds it's simply "worn out".

If the "cartridge" has two wires / connections you might be able to test if it is faulty before committing to a significant expense. It could be tested with a multimeter, which needn't cost more than about £5 if you don't have one. Even a simple "continuity tester" (a battery with a buzzer or a lamp/LED) might be adequate, but I'd avoid that (if the sensor cannot be disconnected). The actual contact resistance might be informative and I wouldn't want to risk damaging a good circuit board (if still connected to the sensor).

Cheers, Alan.
JoeBOB
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by JoeBOB »

Kevin,

Not sure if it'd help, but a quick google search for "vantage vue manual" will give you the pdf manual. It looks like there is a troubleshooting guide in the integrated instrument sensor manual. It does have a section for the anemometer. Hope it helps!

JoeBOB
Turvey

Post by Turvey »

Many thanks JoeBOB for reminding me about the manual! I downloaded it when I first got the Vue and used it to set it up and promptly forgot all about it!

Been away this week and just managed a look at the console and had a look at the trouble shooting section. It was (quite) a bit above me, and I didn't really understand it :oops:

BUT, I took the ISS out of the garage where it has been residing in disgrace for the last week and tested the wind speed with a hairdryer in the sittingroom and *fingers crossed* it seems to be working again! Now I'm guessing either with the fiddling with the console reset something or the ISS has dried out in the garage and will start misbehaving again when the damp starts getting to it or, hopefully, it has fixed itself.

It's installed again outside and so far has constantly been recording the light winds we have here today, if it behaves itself over the next week or so I'll maybe treat it to a new wind direction cartridge :D

Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.

By the way, for future reference, a Babyliss S196a blows air at 30mph on full tilt!!! 8-) :lol: