IMPORTANT! The server may go down soon - possibly permanently. Please read the latest post in Announcements and News

I strongly advise all users using my server for their web site to make alternative arrangements.

Outgoing mail is disabled because of the malware on the server. No new forum registrations are currently possible, and mail to the forum administrator will not work.

Please read the posts in the Announcements section about the current status of Cumulus development now that I have retired

Please read this post before posting

Latest Cumulus release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - Nov 28 2014
Latest Cumulus MX release - v3.0.0 build 3043 Jan 20 2017. See this post for download

Low Battery notification

Discussion of version 3 of Cumulus, which runs on Windows, Linux, and OS X. All Cumulus MX queries in here, please.
Dewie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage VUE
Operating System: Various

Low Battery notification

Postby Dewie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Over the past few years I've been occasionally suffering from bad data due to a low battery in the transmitter of my Vantage Vue weather station. It seems to happen once a year and it was really only this year that I came to the conclusion that this was the problem (previously I usually ended up taking the station apart, cleaning up the board, etc - I guess not to say that this didn't help previously; but regardless)

Anyways - long story short - has anyone looked into making some kind of email notification to notify you when the battery in the transmitter is getting low? I NEVER look at my base station; it is literally only used to transfer data to a Pi which has Cumulus MX on it, broadcasting it to various places where it gets consumed.

I briefly looked into it and it looked to me like there is a custom channel we can subscribe to through Cumulus MX in order to get a battery status? (again this research has been brief; I've not had a whole lot of time to spend looking into this yet). I searched through the forum and it would appear that no one has talked about this possibility yet (unless it was a long time ago and it's buried/they did so without using any keywords I could think up)

I realize not everyone would benefit from this, and that there would be additional overhead to make this work (come from a web/software development background) making it not super high priority to be included as part of Cumulus MX; but it is related.

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Stretch Lite rPi

Re: Low Battery notification

Postby mcrossley » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:44 pm

I'd either get Cumulus to run a script at the archive interval that checks the battery status web tag. Or get Cumulus to generate a tag file that a script run as a scheduled task say once a hour checks.

In both cases you'd need an SMTP server to send the message. If you are running Windows PowerShell has a built in command to send emails. Linux will have a little gizmo as well no doubt.

Return to “Cumulus MX”