Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX and Meteotemplate API

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

blainec
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

CumulusMX and Meteotemplate API

Post by blainec »

We you be adding the meteotemplate API to MX anytime soon?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: CumulusMX and Meteotemplate API

Post by steve »

Not any time soon, no, if at all.
Steve
BeaumarisWX
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus - 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro Hades Canyon

Post by BeaumarisWX »

Hi,
This is purely my opinion on the API approach, and by no means a condemnation of it.

1: If one looks at the Meteotemplate proposed standard, being ;
"Meteotemplate API enables sending data to the template. Because Meteotemplate uses its own database, it can calculate all the statistics itslef and so values needed for the API are always just the current conditions. Some of these are saved to the database, others might only be used by some blocks and plugins."
Note: (taken from : http://www.meteotemplate.com/web/wiki/wikiAPI.php) you will see it states that all it needs is "values needed for the API are always just the current conditions", this I find to be a major issue in that there is no way a Daily/Monthly/Yearly (Total/Mean/High/Low/Avg/) can be correctly aligned with your Stations Record Values, primarily based on User Uploaded Timeliness of the previously mentioned "Current Conditions". (have a think about that = 1/5/10/etc minute intervals) and not the by second actual's from and stored by your Station and CumulusMX, it just uses the Current Conditions at Upload Time, so the actual (High/Low/Max/Min) Values and their actual Times are more than likely missed.

2: if you have / as many do, another Template running on your site (say/Cumulus Standard/Saratoga/Leuven/etc) compare your record's (Totals/Min/Max/High/Low/Avg/etc/ and even your NOAA against the plugins/noaaReport/index.php)!.

In addition to that, if you are running CumulusMX and MySql, you already have the Data in a Database, why not use it with Metetemplate !.

Kind regards,
Tony Beaumaris, Tasmania (AUS)

CMX Mobile : https://beaumaris-weather.com/BWX/
CMX Default: https://beaumaris-weather.com/cumulusmx_default/
Colour Dashboard : https://beaumaris-weather.com/dashborad_color.php
Click below for Saratoga Template :
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I am using Meteotemplate (without API) and everything seems well with my data. I've just compared Now (Current) and Today high and low for temp, humidity, hPa, and wind gust and all the same in my Cumulus template, Saratoga, Leuven, HomeWeather, and Meteotemplate. Thanks to each of their authors to make them available to us to use as we wish.

And, I also have the Cumulus dayfile and realtime data in a MySQL up to date, and my monthly whenever I manually import a new month, so have lots of data to use.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi Tony,
I've had a more detailed look at the data and was shocked on the difference in the Meteotemplate MySQL alldata table max day wind gust compared to what the station recorded. My max wind gust was March 8th 2017 at 85.7 kmh.
This shows in the dayfile.txt and also in the realtime.txt both imported to MySQL dayfile and realtime tables as at 10:03.
In the Meteotemplate MySQL alldata table it shows 45.0 kmh for that day.
Of the 10 days in March 2017 I checked, only one day had the same max gust in Meteotemplate as in Cumulus Dayfile.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

jachym
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Win XP

Post by jachym »

This is not an issue with other SW, Tony please avoid making conclusions without fully understanding how this works.

Wind gust works fine with the other SW which directly support the API (MB, WD etc.) because they send aggregated values.

Eg:
If user sets update interval to 1 minute, then these programs send avg temp, wind and humidity over the last minute, the maximum gust, maximum rain rate etc. If you set updates to 5 mins, it would send the maximum gust over last 5 mins, average temp etc etc. So it works fine and will be accurate.

However because in case of Cumulus it relies on realtime and FTP, the only way to get the most accurate results is to have the intervals set to extremely short times. But thats nothing I can solve from MT perspective.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

This is not an issue with other web site templates ;)
Steve
jachym
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Win XP

Post by jachym »

Correct, because they use all data from realtime, MT uses its own database and calculates things by itself, which also has many advantages.

I could argue that it is not an issue with other SW, but I dont want to argue with you. Because MT works differently compared to the other templates, it needs different way of updates. Neither approach is better or worse, but the one used by Cumulus currently is not ideal for MT, I never said it is.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

As an outside observer, it seems that MT could do with using a custom tag file that also contains today's highs/lows so it can accurately record them rather than relying on realtime.txt as has limited data available. That file could be additional and read less frequently, or replace realtime.txt as I do for SS gauges with realtimegauges.txt. Actually realtimegauges.txt probably contains most of what is required.

I know that departs from how MT works and would require special handling for Cumulus... :roll: