Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MySQL Time zones table

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

MySQL Time zones table

Post by Mapantz »

I just thought i'd make a post to see how many have this issue with shared hosting..

Basically, when retrieving my data from MySQL, you need timezone info:

Code: Select all

$result = $mysqli->query("SET time_zone='Europe/London'");
However, I cannot use that, because the time zone tables are not loaded in to MySQL. So, the way I can only get it to work is by using

Code: Select all

$result = $mysqli->query("SET time_zone='+00:00'"); or $result = $mysqli->query("SET time_zone='+01:00'");
But this messes up my sunshine graphs due to clocks going back and forward throughout the year. For example: If in May, I record sunshine from, 5am to 6am, and then call it back, it could show as 4am to 5am due to BST. You can fix it by using +01:00, but then you have the issue of sunshine in the evening being one hour out and vice versa. The Europe/London way fixes this problem. The hosting i'm using now refuses to load the time zone tables in to MySQL because it is shared hosting. I have asked another 5 hosting companies, and they all say the same thing! The only answer is to move to a dedicated server, but i'm not paying £30 a month for overkill hardware to host my simple weather site.

I don't know how i can get past this problem! I didn't have the problem with GoDaddy, but I had to ditch them, as it they were slow and I used to get so many issues with them, and I prefer SSD hosting. So I refuse to ever go back with them. So I think i'm completely stuck?!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: MySQL Time zones table

Post by mcrossley »

Can you create the zone table in your user space and populate it. The comments on this page suggests you can...
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en ... o-sql.html
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

mcrossley wrote:Can you create the zone table in your user space and populate it. The comments on this page suggests you can...
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en ... o-sql.html
I've managed to run that and create the table, but I don't know what I need to do next. It is beyond my capabilities after that :oops:
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I can send you the exports of my tables if you like - then just import them into your db?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

mcrossley wrote:I can send you the exports of my tables if you like - then just import them into your db?
OK - Let's give that a try.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

That's 11 hosting companies now, that say the timezone tables aren't loaded in to sql, and they refuse to do it unless it is a dedicated server. How are other people managing this? It's really confusing to me. :?
Steepleian
Weather Station: WH2650
Operating System: Debian 9

Post by Steepleian »

Have you thought about hosting yourself? It really is very straightforward and you won’t have to worry about restrictions.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Steepleian wrote:Have you thought about hosting yourself? It really is very straightforward and you won’t have to worry about restrictions.
Not on my broadband connection, it's too slow. As it is, my internet slows right up if I get more than 2 people viewing my webcam. :lol: