Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather Station Recommendations

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Weather Station Recommendations

Post by Big Daddy »

Hi All,
For a few years I have been running a Maplin N96GY (Fine Offset) station and its done the basic job.

I fancy treating myself to a new weather station, hopefully one that's solar powered and can also measure Solar / UV.

I haven't got millions to spend. probably around £200 - £250 but am looking for something that will connect up to my Raspbery-Pi3 running MX/ (Not sure if it has to have a USB port of if there is some way of connecting via IP - This is where I am unsure of what I am doing). Need the usual measurements including UV and Solar and basically whatever the best is I can get for my money.

Would welcome your suggestions please.

Andy
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Weather Station Recommendations

Post by RayProudfoot »

Unfortunately there is a large gap in the market for stations costing £200-£500. There aren't any that I'm aware of.
Your only realistic option is to increase your budget (interest rates are still historically low! ;) ) or look in the second-hand market for a Davis VP2.

The Davis stations are exceptionally durable with the possible exception of the anemometer. Recent changes in design have made it better but I'll only give it a glowing recommendation if it remains problem-free for several years. My latest anemometer has been up for less than a year.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi Andy,
Big Daddy wrote:Need the usual measurements including UV ....
What for? The Davis sensor alone for that costs (much) more than your total budget.

As Ray says, there really isn't anything much at your price point. So take a look at the Weatherduino Project which now includes UV and even Air Quality Monitoring, but don't underestimate the amount of DIY work required. The Pro PLUS should be within your budget, maybe even including one Davis sensor (Wind or Rain).

Cheers, Alan.
Big Daddy
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003 (GW1000)
Operating System: Raspbian 10 (Buster) / Mono 6.12

Post by Big Daddy »

Thanks for the comments. Have come much to the same conclusions myself.

I just fancied adding UV and Solar to my readings but doesn't look like its possible unless I "up the budget".

May for the time being stick with what I have.

Thanks again.
Andy