Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus start up problems/help on Windows 10

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Claira42
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus start up problems/help on Windows 10

Post by Claira42 »

I am having serious problems even running Cumulus MX on my windows 10.

I have read everything (regarding download and install) of Cumulus MX onto my system and have run the application in administration, but after this I am having a problem.

The black screen comes up and shows the details that Cumulus MX is running and that I have to replace the *888 with my ip address in my browser, which is Google, but all it does is sits there connecting then times out's every-time.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help just to get past this would be great. I don't know what local host is and I don't have a website, but I can get onto Weatherlink fine and weather underground, but not Cumulus MX.

I only came onto Cumulus MX because I lost my twitter authorising keys. (So I am hoping that eventually I will get to post in Twitter again) But in the meantime I don't mind trying this programme.

I am a complete novice and I cannot understand much of what Steve has written because I don't know if it relates to Windows or Linux. I don't have a localhost, but my last Com port for Davis Vue that I used in Cumulus 1 was com port 3. If this means anything.

Please help me out as I don't know what I have to do when the black screen is running. I can't change anything in the black screen and I can't do anything in my browser.

Thank you in advance.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus start up problems/help on Windows 10

Post by steve »

Type http://localhost:8998 into your browser (or just click on that link) while MX is running, and see what happens.
Steve
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Thank you Steve, the Cumulus screen is up.

Now, I have been to settings and inputted all from my old station, but no information has been read from my view? Is there any help on what to do next as I will need to read up the next steps.

I think I was on com port 3 but nothing seems to be working. What do I need to do next?

Thank you so much,

Lisa.
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

I have played about with the com port, as I don't have a ip set up yet, so i'm still usb connected to my computer.

I restarted the programme as stated, it went through a few other hick up's but I think we have touch down.

Please let me know if I need to set anything else up for a davis vantage vue user, but in the meantime, thank you.

I get there in the end.

Now round two with Twitter.

Thank you Steve.
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Hi again, it would seem that twitter is the problem again because I have lost my authorizing keys.

I had to terminate the programme and reload and now the station will not reload the data.

I must have done something wrong, but I do not know what.

It says last updated a 17.40, which was when I terminated the programme after the twitter problem.

Do I just un enable twitter and see if it comes back?

If you have any news, please update me. Thanks, Lisa.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

As I said earlier, just as with Cumulus 1, Cumulus MX is no longer able to obtain authentication keys for Twitter. So, yes, you may as well disable Twitter in MX.

I can’t think of any way that having Twitter enabled would cause MX to be unable to read data from the station, so there must be some other explanation. One possible explanation is that you have two instances of MX running,e.g. because it was still running after you tried to terminate it.
Steve
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

The programme will not run at all now. It says windows has stopped this programme from running due to an error.

I don't think I can go back to how it was before either.

Can anyone help?

I don't know where to start.

Thanks again.
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Sorry, Steve, but a whole page of termination on the black screen appears and I can't take a screen grab to show you.

I have uninstalled the programme and started it again but it still says that there is an error in the config files and I can't find them or even know what to change.

I had it all running perfectly until I saw the page of errors on the black screen and cancelled the programme. I then could not start the programme again because of the config failure.

I am so sorry that I am doing this to your programme. I will try and roll back my computer again and let you know what happens.

Thanks again, Lisa.
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

Hi Steve, I have just reset Cumulus file to last night as I was not playing with it then. The system loaded but it says it cannot connect to station so I must have changed the com port. I will close and go through the settings again.

At least I got rid of the page full of errors om the black screen. It just says unable to connect to station, so I will do what I can this end.

I've got to stop playing with things.

Lisa.
Claira42

Post by Claira42 »

SUCCESS>>>>

All working fine again. It is Twitter that is the culprit.

I am not touching Twitter anymore.

I am going to stick with weather underground etc and possibly put myself underground until you work Twitter out.

One thing I did notice. Since the new Windows 10 update at the end of last year, I cannot roll my computer back anymore. I know that this is not a criticism of Cumulus, but its a heads up to people who are like me and don't know what they are doing. Thank God for file roll back.

Now for saving everything else to file before the computer crashes with everything I have been doing to it.

If you don't hear from me, all is well.

Thanks again, Lisa.