Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus not reading data after last run

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
tierradelfuego
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Win10

Cumulus not reading data after last run

Post by tierradelfuego »

Hi all,

I've been using Cumulus and a VP2 for many years now successfully until a few days ago, when I noticed on starting the app (which I do once daily) that it didn't download any new data on the 24th.

Although everything has been working for months since I got a new ISS and console, and a new Weatherlink Live, my set up is as follows, in case it helps:

New VP2 ISS and console
Old console and USB datalogger connected into PC (I'm only using this as the old datalogger won't work in the new console so was trying to save money tbh)
ISS and separate Anemometer transmitter
Weatherlink Live

Everything seems to be working fine in terms of both consoles are receiving data, and when doing a com port test on the old console in the WeatherLink program on my pc, it finds the ISS on com port 3 as expected. Download intervals on Weatherlink and Cumulus match (although I have changed them since the issue in the hope of saving data). Time on console and PC match.

I have read the FAQ and tried using a rewind of the data to match the today.ini file, both from when data was last downloaded correctly, and prior to that, but nothing is downloaded on opening Cumulus.

I've never used Weatherlink on the PC so don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but if I open the weather station and download data, it downloads 37 pages, but then says no data if I go to Browse Station Data, which seems odd unless I'm doing something wrong in the app.

Unless there is something funky going on with the USB port, my guess is the datalogger has died (it's probably 10 years old) but obviously grateful for any help anyone can give.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this,
Alex.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Cumulus not reading data after last run

Post by freddie »

I've moved this to the Cumulus 1 forum, as I put it in the MX forum by mistake!

Looking at the diags file, Cumulus notes that the last data received is from 19:30 0n 24/09/2020. It then asks the logger for archive data since that date, and the logger is reporting that it doesn't have any archive data available.

It could possibly be down to a faulty logger. I don't think it is your USB as Cumulus (and Weatherlink) can talk to the station okay.

I have a data logger that is 13 years old, so 10 doesn't sound too old to me :)

Sorry I can't help any further. Perhaps somebody else will chip in?
Freddie
tierradelfuego

Post by tierradelfuego »

Thanks Freddie for moving and your input.

In some ways it's weird that even backtracking to the 21st it finds no data to download, and not sure if that resembles a logger or pc failure in reality, I can see the merits in both.

I have tried deleting the com port, reboot, changing the com port and physical port, reboot and update both software to the new port - no change on any of those.

Also checked windows updates to see if anything close to the 24th, but nothing.

One last thing I can think of is replace the usb mini-b to usb-a extension cable, and for £7 it's worth a try, but unless any other suggestions it's a new datalogger on the new console and move the console's around i suppose. If that didn't work I'm seriously stumped...

Any other thoughts?
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Download intervals on Weatherlink and Cumulus match (although I have changed them since the issue in the hope of saving data).
Changing the Davis datalogger interval erases all the archive data. Did you do the datalogger interval change and a Cumulus restart close together so that there would have been no data in the logger?

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
tierradelfuego

Post by tierradelfuego »

Thanks Paul,

I only did the change in the logger interval a day after I had tried to use the most recent and a prior backup from the 21st, so there should have been some data in there as it was set to 5 min intervals at the time. I only changed the logger interval in the end so that I could hopefully try to keep 28 days of data (or whatever it is at 15 min intervals), and lose 1 day, if I found it was a PC issue. Still getting the same issue when I tried it last night with nothing being downloaded...
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Sounds like a logger fault to me - just double check it is properly seated - or worst case the console :(

Because you can communicate with the console for getting live data, you can rule out anything beyond the logger itself (dongles, PC, software etc).