Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Anoying features?

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Anoying features?

Post by HansR »

Just asking: what do you think are annoying features of CUtils and can be improved (how)?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Re: Anoying features?

Post by Nossie »

The only thing I can think of ... is

I'd like a basic forecast, I realise that's a big ask, displaying the cumulus one is very basic, for me it's "Becoming fine" And I realizeandwithout a Davis device you don't really get much more detail. I remember seeing something about a third-party forecast being introduced using a guy that had rewritten something like darksky. Probably better to see if he can afford his AWS bill before looking at integrating it.

But that's the only really 'annoying' thing and it's very much a niggle as you can link to third party forecasts.
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
HansR

Post by HansR »

It has a basic forecast (Misc menu, first choice) or do you want those texts scrolling somewhere on the dashboard?
(I had intentionally not implemented those texts, forecasting on that level is not my thing :| )
Hans

Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Post by Nossie »

To be honest it has remained a niggle because the data my station produces is not enough to really be worth anything but if it could show in a more meaningful way I'd be up for that.

viewtopic.php?p=169067#p169067

This is what I was referencing before. I've no idea where you would put it but the more I think of it the basic forecast (atleat for me) is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. It might as well just be static text showing "Becoming fine" I'm sure it will become fine, might not be until spring but it will become fine at some point. :lol:
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
HansR

Post by HansR »

Nossie wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 9:27 pm To be honest it has remained a niggle because the data my station produces is not enough to really be worth anything but if it could show in a more meaningful way I'd be up for that.

viewtopic.php?p=169067#p169067

This is what I was referencing before. I've no idea where you would put it but the more I think of it the basic forecast (atleat for me) is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. It might as well just be static text showing "Becoming fine" I'm sure it will become fine, might not be until spring but it will become fine at some point. :lol:
If you reference that script and would like to have that on your site, just include it to a menu item and have it shown.
Including php scripts has been done already by several users, they may jump in here but otherwise check out Steinar (Norwegian station) or Andy on Jersey. Both did the beteljuice script for the dayfile reader and use the menu. I really would not know how to :?
Hans

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Every once in a while I look at other sites in the CUtils environment and see if any one has come up with new ideas for website development. It seems to me that all is quiet out there at the moment.

For my site I use your basic functionality and develop it to see just how far I can push it. Some bits needed time and thought but once a new idea has been seen I get the code which was used and modify it slightly to fit onto my site.

Always think that as long as you have kept a full backup it does not matter if you get the modified script wrong you can always try and try again to perfect the end result. The only downside is the time taken and for me time is not a problem.
HansR

Post by HansR »

@Andy: so I read you see no annoying things except the time it takes ;) Thanks.
How much time did it take to master all ins and outs of CMX itself?
Experimenting is always good, the learning curve may be steep at the beginning but flattens and it becomes easier with time to do thing.
Anyway, new ideas are always welcome (partly the reason for this thread) but the main reason is to see if anybody sees major annoyances or flaws.
Hans

AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans
The time issue is not a function of CUtils at all just my changes!

Since I only have Davis VP2 setup extra sensors would be difficult so at the moment I have no problems with CUtils.

Keep up the great work
HansR

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 10:18 am Hi Hans
The time issue is not a function of CUtils at all just my changes!

Since I only have Davis VP2 setup extra sensors would be difficult so at the moment I have no problems with CUtils.

Keep up the great work
OK :D
If you wish you can easily add Ecowitt ExtraSensors through Use a HTTP Station for extra sensors.
Hans