Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weather Banner, but using ASP?

Discussion and support for 3rd-party (non-Sandaysoft) tools for Cumulus
GreenwoJ
Weather Station: FineOffset WH1080 (Maplin N96GY)
Operating System: Windows 11

Weather Banner, but using ASP?

Post by GreenwoJ »

Hi folks,

I keen on seeing current weather banners in forum and email signatures, but they all seem to use PHP. Before I attempt to write my own, does anyone have an old school ASP component that does this already?

Chat soon.
My weather pages for Hythe, Hampshire
grahamrodrigue
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Weather Banner, but using ASP?

Post by grahamrodrigue »

GreenwoJ wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 1:12 pm Hi folks,

I keen on seeing current weather banners in forum and email signatures, but they all seem to use PHP. Before I attempt to write my own, does anyone have an old school ASP component that does this already? Doglikesbest

Chat soon.
Hello,

Creating a weather banner using ASP (Active Server Pages) is definitely possible. While I couldn’t find a ready-made ASP component specifically for weather banners, you can use ASP.NET Core Web API to fetch current weather data from services like OpenWeather and display it on your forum or email signatures.

Here’s a high-level approach to creating a weather banner using ASP.NET:

Get an API Key: Sign up for an API key from a weather service provider like OpenWeather.
Create a Weather Controller: Use ASP.NET Core to create a controller that will handle the API calls to the weather service.
Fetch Weather Data: Make HTTP requests to the weather service API using the API key and retrieve the current weather data.
Render the Banner: Use the fetched data to render a weather banner dynamically on your forum or email signature.
Last edited by grahamrodrigue on Fri 26 Apr 2024 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Weather Banner, but using ASP?

Post by HansR »

grahamrodrigue wrote: Thu 25 Apr 2024 4:49 am
GreenwoJ wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 1:12 pm Hi folks,

I keen on seeing current weather banners in forum and email signatures, but they all seem to use PHP. Before I attempt to write my own, does anyone have an old school ASP component that does this already?

Chat soon.
Hello,

Creating a weather banner using ASP (Active Server Pages) is definitely possible. While I couldn’t find a ready-made ASP component specifically for weather banners, you can use ASP.NET Core Web API to fetch current weather data from services like OpenWeather and display it on your forum or email signatures.

Here’s a high-level approach to creating a weather banner using ASP.NET:

Get an API Key: Sign up for an API key from a weather service provider like OpenWeather.
Create a Weather Controller: Use ASP.NET Core to create a controller that will handle the API calls to the weather service.
Fetch Weather Data: Make HTTP requests to the weather service API using the API key and retrieve the current weather data.
Render the Banner: Use the fetched data to render a weather banner dynamically on your forum or email signature.
I don't get this.
Why use something like OpenWeather (or any other service like that) if you ca use the CMX data.
This is a CMX forum isn't it? And the data on OpenWeather most likely comes from CMX and if not, what are you doing here?

You don't need any service - wanting your data - you just need CMX. It is already there filling up all the other services.
This is not an external services advertising forum. This is about CMX.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3