Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Old Age, Spiders and Relocation

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Old Age, Spiders and Relocation

Post by apple8 »

My Vue is at a height of of six meters and to access I climb a ladder to a carport type flat roof at 2.4 meters loosen off some brackets on a post and drop the pole down to to head high. This has worked well for me since 2014 but family are taking a dim view of me working at heights and at 77 in few weeks it is probably time to think about something to work smarter.

Apart from an occasional battery change the most common reason to be there is spider webs stopping rain gauge bucket tips.

So I came up with two options either bring the Vue down to maintain from the ground and use an Ecowitt anemometer on the pole or leave the Vue where it is and have an Ecowitt rain gauge where I can reach from the ground. I am confident I can remote the battery given background.

Now, in either case can MX ignore the Vue console reading not used and replace it with Ecowitt reading? What would be the best option, I was thinking rain gauge relocation as it probably doesn’t affect the Davis forecast
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Old Age, Spiders and Relocation

Post by HansR »

Well, no doubt this will generate opinions, so why not post mine.

I think that even with ecowitt anemometer on the pole you will have to climb there to clean it. Even worse: any device needs cleaning (every 6 to 12 months), at least that's my experience.

Splitting the sensors between Davis and Ecowitt cannot be handled by CMX afaik (unless Mark did change something, it has been expressed as a wish before).

My advise would be to dump the Vue and go for Ecowitt completely and put them on the ground, somewhere - especially the wind - where the trade off for the height is acceptable. Otherwise you will be climbing the ladder until the end.

[EDIT:]
You posted this twice, could you remove the one without response?
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Now, in either case can MX ignore the Vue console reading not used and replace it with Ecowitt reading?
I think rain is one of the prime sensors but you can use the Sensor check setting to override the lack of that sensor so CMX can still run. I don't have the Vue station so not sure how you can disconnect the rain sensor (but quite easy to do in the VP2).
On adding the Ecowitt sensor I presume you'd have the station settings as Davis VP2/Vue, but in the Extra sensors settings I don't see anything for Rain.

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
apple8
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by apple8 »

Thanks Hans and Paul, I suspected that there could have been issues with substituting primary sensors from different stations and would have stick with one system.

The suggestion to have the complete suite where I can easily access it is looking like the answer, and I could run the Vue there till it dies and then swap over to the Ecowitt.