Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Docker image test - CMX 4

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Docker image test - CMX 4

Post by Nossie »

First of all thank you Mark for the explanation in your beta thread - overall it is very extensive. I would add something more about the difference between dotnet cumulusmx.dll and mono cumulusmx.exe - that threw me a bit until I understood .net better.

I've created a basic docker image with ubuntu, .net and the other tools needed to run cumulus - anyone is welcome to test.

docker-compose

Code: Select all

version: "3.7"
services:

portainer-ce:
    container_name: portainer-ce
    image: portainer/portainer-ce
    restart: on-failure:5
    ports:
    - "9897:8000"
    - "9000:9000"
    volumes:
    - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
    - ./volumes/portainer-ce/data:/data

MXWeather:
    container_name: MXWeather
    image: nossieuk/mxweather:dotnet-arm64
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
#      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/datav3:/opt/CumulusMX/datav3  # optional for migration
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/data:/opt/CumulusMX/data
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/backup:/opt/CumulusMX/backup
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/log:/var/log/nginx
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/MXdiags:/opt/CumulusMX/MXdiags
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/config:/opt/CumulusMX/config
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/publicweb:/opt/CumulusMX/publicweb
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/templates:/opt/CumulusMX/web
      - ./volumes/CumulusMX/reports:/opt/CumulusMX/Reports
    ports:
      - 8998:8998
      - 8009:80

Known issues
anything related to the beta release will apply here too
it used to be simple just to wipe the program location and move in place - however if you do that with an existing install UniqueId.txt will cause the same problems as reported by Mark - I would prefer this stashed somewhere else -- but if I really wanted to I guess I could mount the file??? not looked into it much yet.

Why am I using Ubuntu 23.10? While I'd normally use an LTS version, this one has native .net binaries for arm64 -- I'm probably going to go in the direction of alpine once I get a lay of the land with .net compatibility but this is just a test after all.

I have been using an unmaintained??????? dockerfile from Optoisolated - huge respects to them for giving me a foundation coming up 2 years ago -- it's heavily modified and hacked away but I leave his details there as a salute.

User and timezone set in .env - build.sh and Dockerfile included for source.

If someone is looking for a noobie introduction to docker - I suggest this set of scripts called IOTstack. Basically if you follow the instructions on the link, install IOTstack, install an app and close, you can then copy over the .env and edit the docker-compose.yml for cumulusmx and that's you ready to go.

https://willem-dekker.github.io/IOTstac ... g-Started/

I would NOT recommend ANYONE convert their data to this at this stage - even I haven't done that yet :mrgreen: but it's a fun project for someone interested in learning.

With that thought in mind, I still maintain mono cumulusmx for arm and if someone wanted to have a go with that they would just change

image: nossieuk/mxweather:dotnet-arm64
to

image: nossieuk/mxweather:latest
in the docker-compose.yml above :) the mono version has been downloaded 300 times apparently since I started it .... I don't think all those times were me :lol: (although maybe)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nossie on Tue 19 Mar 2024 8:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
Nossie

Re: Docker image test - ARM 64 - CMX 4

Post by Nossie »

annnnnd

the dotnet container is now compatible with intel/amd cpus

https://hub.docker.com/r/nossieuk/mxweather/tags

full list of options above - latest is legacy arm. - dotnet-arm64 is beta arm and dotnet-amd64 is beta amd/intel.

My test amd machine, rno matter what I do still pulls latest regardless of how I have it setup - that might be why I never figured out the problem until now.

Anyone that tests, please let me know how you get on - especially the amd64 one -thanks.
Ian.

Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
Nossie

Re: Docker image test - CMX 4

Post by Nossie »

dotnet images on pause until I can remap the uniqueid.txt

legacy-arm64 is what I use on stewartonweather and I believe legacy-amd64 should be fully working too.
Ian.

Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Bookworm)

Post by Nottub »

Sad to say I’m already very nervous about this potential update.

I’m not technically competent with all these different updates and background changes. I had just got my head round how to update CMX 3 on my Rpi, as newer versions came out.

This new update looks like it may be a step too far for someone of my limited computer knowledge.

I may have to stick with CMX 3 or start looking for something easier to maintain. I’ll keep checking on progress though.

Regards
Martyn
Nossie

Post by Nossie »

I think of this as more a speedbump and I don't think you use docker - so you can ignore this element.

Converting over to the new method may not be the easiest - but I get the feeling in the longterm it will make it easier for most people.

Also - as the new process matures I think people will find easier ways of doing tasks such as conversion and things so don't lose hope.
Ian.

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Nottub wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2024 7:37 pm Sad to say I’m already very nervous about this potential update.

I’m not technically competent with all these different updates and background changes. I had just got my head round how to update CMX 3 on my Rpi, as newer versions came out.

This new update looks like it may be a step too far for someone of my limited computer knowledge.

I may have to stick with CMX 3 or start looking for something easier to maintain. I’ll keep checking on progress though.
Tbh. I think if you bite through it will be easier for the user and technically better. Many problems were mono related and that is in the past now. So in short: bite through the apple and it will be better. It really will be. The technical competence required for mono or dotnet is equal, you just have to learn to make the change.

Dotnet is the future, mono is the past. It has been abandoned by its developers, there is no support when issues arise.
.NET 8 has long time support.
Having said that: no doubt things will change at some point in the future (no idea when): IT is not without change!

If you say I may have to stick with CMX 3 or start looking for something easier to maintain. I'd say CMX3 is the past, CMX4 is the future.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

Nottub wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2024 7:37 pm Sad to say I’m already very nervous about this potential update.

The illusion of change is much bigger than the change itself. Yes, new technologies do give a lot of flexibility and different possibilities of running things. And of course there is a lot of enthusiasm around the new possibilities. Docker is just a one additional way of running CMX. If you haven’t needed it before, you probably don’t need it in the future either.

But as far as I have understood, there is not much of a difference between running CMX3 and CMX4. Earlier you had mono libraries on your RPi, now you just have newer .NET8 libraries instead of mono. You still can run CMX either manually or as a service. Also Mark has not suggested that the upgrade procedure from v4 build to a later v4 build would be any different than upgrading from v3 build to later v3 build. One time conversion of data is only necessary when upgrading from v3 to v4. So IMHO no need to worry, just wait patiently until the migration path is well established from the normal user’s point of view.