Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost Sensor Contact!!

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
geoffw
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Lost Sensor Contact!!

Post by geoffw »

I'm suffering a prolonged period (all day today) of "Lost sensor contact". ...... I've changed the batteries in my weather station (new in May last year) and in the receiver but I'm still suffering. I've suffered occasional short periods like this in the past but never nor that an hour.

Can anyone suggest which instrment I kick! Seriously is there anyone with a similar experience who has managed to kick-start the systme that seems to hav locked into "Lost Sensor Contact" mode?
Geoff
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Lost Sensor Contact!!

Post by steve »

Does your console display dashes for outdoor sensors while Cumulus is reporting lost sensor? When mine does this, I move the console around to get it to pick up the signal again; it normally just sits on the desk, and a bit of height usually gets it back again.
Steve
Charlie
Weather Station: 1wire-Cumulus & Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Charlie »

If the batteries have been in there 9 months, they might be done. What type were they?
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Post by daj »

Geoff

I am on the same page as you at the moment! I have been running my station since Sept 2008 but over the last week or so I am getting more and more Lost Contact problems and for very long periods of time (8 hours in some cases). My outdoor sensors and indoor receiver have never moved (I know there are so many things that can affect the communication but I am at a loss). My batteries were changed a few months ago but I am going to do them again just in case.

Sadly I have never been able to see the console to see if dashes appear as each time it fails I am not at home (although it did fail this morning at 6am for a little while but I was sleeping) -- I get Toolbox to email me when the contact is lost! I remote connect to the PC, close down Cumulus and run EasyWeather (which shows dashes) and wait until contact is made then I close EW and start Cumulus

I really hope I (and you ) can get to the bottom of this -- I am hoping that the battery change will help; we have had very cold weather in the last two month so it may be killing the Duracell batteries
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
daj

Post by daj »

As I typed this message I got an email to say it had Lost Contact so I lept off the chair and dashed to the console (poor dog wondered what the heck I was doing).

The console showed dashes for Rain and Wind but as soon as I picked it up it regained contact :?
David
kippfordweather.uk
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

The transmitters on these things are pretty weak! :( The quoted range is very optimistic and only applies if there is nothing but air in between. I have to position my console so that it gets line of sight through a window - it's less than 20 yards (metres) range. Batteries certainly are very critical and the voltage doesn't have to drop much for communication to fail. Lithium cells should be better as they not only have a longer life but the voltage reduction is less than alkaline over their lifetime. Another possibility is poor contact of the plugs and sockets (and batteries). RJ11/12 are intended for indoor use and though shielded from the elements, they certainly get damp and tend to corrode. I've just had my pole and wind sensors down and the connections in the wind vain unit certainly show corrosion. It would probably be a good idea to clean them and give them a coat of protecting silicone grease. You might want better weather though :roll:

On the subject of connections, I've suddenly started getting problems with the USB connector on the console. I've got a weight holding down the USB cable to retain contact. Looks like another home mod - changing the USB connector. :(
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Gosh,

I've only just got in from a taking the dog fo a walk and I have FIVE replies!!

Original batteries are Uniross 2500 rechargeables. I have replaced them, this morning, with some new Energizer "Ulrimates" and even taken the consol outside so that it is only a couple of mtres from the Station. The consol is showing internal temp and humidity as well as time an a pressure reading. All the rest are blank or dashes.

I must say I'm starting to get frustrated!

PS However, thanks for the responses - at least I'm not alone.
Geoff
Gina

Post by Gina »

The console is definitely showing a "lost contact" situation Geoff :( Have you tried the recommended order of operations when changing the tx batteries. As I recall, you need to remove the console batteries and disconnect from USB after changing the tx batteries. That makes the console reset and look for the radio signal from the transmitter. I hope you were careful to put the batteries in the right way round. Sorry to doubt you but I've done such things before now.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Well still in trouble. I've replaced the batteries and followed the setup instructions quoted below. The transmitted appears to be starting (the LED switches on for the 4 seconds as indicated below) when the batteries are inserted, but when I start the LCD Weather station there is clearly no link with the Transmitter (when powered by batteries or by the USB connector)
System Start
Insert two pieces of LR6(AA size) batteries into the transmitter, the LED located in the middle front case of transmitter will be turned on for 4 seconds, then it will be off and start to work normally. The transmitter will make a data transmission and then start radio controlled time reception routine. If time signal can be detected correctly, then the LED will start to flash 5 times indicating time signal has been found correctly. When time signal is bad and reception is not possible, the transmitter will terminate radio controlled time reception within one minute and resume normal mode. When there is a data transmission happened, the LED will be on for 20ms. During radio controlled time reception period, there is no transmission and normal transmission will only resume after time reception routine is complete. The longest time for radio controlled time reception is 5 minutes.

After inserting the batteries into the Weather Station, all LCD segments will be turned on for a few seconds, all possible display segments are turned on for checking.

After this, the weather station will make initial measurement and start to register the transmitter ( the radio reception icon will be turned on). Before there is outdoor data received, it is not allowed to touch the LCD, otherwise the outdoor sensor learning mode will be terminated right after the touch of LCD. When outdoor transmitter has been registered, the Touch Screen Weather Station will automatically switch to the normal display mode from which all further settings can be performed by the user.
As it was bought from Maplins in June last year I've emailed them in the hope (vain I fear ) that they can help me get it going or replace it.

Wish me luck!
Geoff
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Yeeks! It has suddenly started "receiving" again
Geoff
daj

Post by daj »

It's odd, isn't it! :o
David
kippfordweather.uk
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Possible interference? WLAN? Cordless phones? Either yours or a neighbours?

Mark
Gina

Post by Gina »

Magick!!! :lol: :lol:
Gina

6719jason
Weather Station: La-Crosse WS3502
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by 6719jason »

Gina wrote:Magick!!! :lol: :lol:
Now....I could swear I have had that said in a certain British comedy show.....
Now wasn't it 'Del boy' in 'The Jolly Boys Outing' when.....They had gone to Margate for the Day, Coach exploded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXI-gHXlWEA(Must watch)....they needed to spend the night in Margate and so...went to a Bed and Breakfast...Went out for Drinks...Delboy bumped into Raquel and then went back to the B&B to find that the 'Ole' Dragon who owns it had locked the doors....So after throwing a stone through a window...which hit 'Uncle Albert' on the head...which failed to arose his attention....they went off to 'Raquel's' Flat who offered Delboy & Rodney a bed for the Night....Blah Blah Blah...Slight disagreement....They make up and...they Delboy says 'Magick' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI-qrOZnYx8 Position 8:50 :lol:

Oh how I like watching 'Only Fools and Horses'

:lol:
geoffw

Post by geoffw »

Bl$$dy thing has failed again!

No readings again this morning, so I've turned off Cumulus until I can get things sorted. I don't think it is interference from other wireless sources as the two houses nearest to me (I'm in a rural area) are unoccupied at the moment and I haven't got any 'new' wireless sources here.

Furthermore I moved the LCD receiver to a room near to and in a direct line of sight with the transmiter and still no success. I'm convinced myself that the transmitter (LED lights when batteries are inserted as described in instructions) is working and there appears to be no physical damage to the outdoor data collectors.

In the meantime I have put a redirect on the school website I run to our nearest local online weather station some ten miles away and guess what has happened? ............. "Sod's LAW" in actions ............. See what I mean http://www.milfordweather.org.uk/ ........grrhhh!
Geoff